Application Deadline: March 31, 2023.
Every April 26, WIPO celebrates the World Intellectual Property (IP) Day to learn more about the role that IP rights play in encouraging innovation and creativity. This year’s theme of “Women and IP: Accelerating Innovation and Creativity” puts the spotlight on the role that women play in driving innovation and creativity. It reflects on the challenges that women face in accessing the knowledge, skills, resources and support they need to thrive, and celebrates the can-do attitude of women, inventors, creators and entrepreneurs around the world and their groundbreaking work.
To celebrate this day, the WIPO Nigeria Office welcomes participation of all students of tertiary institutions across Nigeria in the 2023 National IP Essay Competition on the topic “Gender Inclusivity as a Strategy to Drive Innovation and Creativity in Nigeria”. Participation in this competition will provide students with an excellent opportunity to research and learn more about the field of intellectual property, as they explore policy ideas along the lines of this year’s theme for driving the increased participation of women in Nigeria’s innovation and creativity landscape.
- Entries are welcome from all students of tertiary institutions in Nigeria, and in line with the competition guidelines should be accompanied with a valid student ID card or a proof of enrollment.
Essay entries will be assessed for factual accuracy, imagination, originality, creative and innovative thought, by an independent expert Panel of Judges drawn from leading IP practitioners and entrepreneurs, academics, policy experts, scholars and regulators across the country. Participation in this competition will provide students with an excellent opportunity to research and learn more about the field of intellectual property, as they explore policy ideas along the lines of this year’s theme for driving the increased participation of women in Nigeria’s innovation and creativity landscape.
The national competition is open to all registered students (undergraduate and postgraduate) of recognized tertiary institutions in Nigeria: universities, colleges of education, polytechnics, as well as professional or vocational institutions.
- The essay must be written in English. Essay entries should not exceed 1,500 words (bibliography and references are excluded from the word count).
- Entries should be prepared in font 12 Arial (Black), with double line spacing and pages numbered.
- Entries should be submitted in both Word and .pdf format.
- Entries must not include any pictures or other graphical illustrations.
- Entries must not contain any indication as to the name, school, number, email address or other means of identification or affiliation of its author and/or any other person.
- Plagiarism of any sort will result in disqualification.
- AI generated works are not eligible for submission, and will be disqualified.
- Submissions received after the announced deadline will not be considered.
- A valid student ID card or proof of enrollment will be required when submitting. All entries should be made to: [email protected], with the subject title of the email initial.surname_WIPD23 Essay Competition (for example, G.Nduka_WIPD23 Essay Competition).
- All entries must be submitted on or before March 31, 2023.
- Winners of the competition will be announced in April 2023.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the WIPO National IP Essay Competition 2023