Application Deadline: 21 April 2017.
The World Habitat Awards were established in 1985 by the Building and Social Housing Foundation as part of its contribution to the United Nations International Year of Shelter for the Homeless.
Every year a prize of £10,000 and an award are given to two winners – projects that provide practical and innovative solutions to current housing needs and problems. The awards are presented at a UN-Habitat global event. Submissions are welcomed for the 2017-18 World Habitat Awards.
World Habitat Awards want to hear about projects that:
- Focus on affordable and adequate housing
- Are in progress or have been completed in the last ten years
- Have been designed and/or delivered in close collaboration with the residents/local community
As well as international recognition, a prize of £10,000 is made to each of the two winning projects.
Trophies are also presented to the winning projects and travel and accommodation costs are met for one representative of each winning project to attend the awards ceremony
How to Enter
Submissions are welcomed for the 2017/18 World Habitat Awards
- demonstrate practical, innovative and sustainable solutions to current housing issues faced by countries all around the world
- can be transferred or adapted for use as appropriate
- are already being implemented or are completed ie not at design stage or very early stages of development
- view the term habitat from a broad perspective and bring other benefits as well, such as energy or water saving, income generation, social inclusion, community and individual empowerment, health benefits, capacity building or education.
All entries are assessed and up to 12 projects are shortlisted by an assessment committee. These shortlisted projects are then evaluated by an independent advisory group.
Evaluation visits are made to some of the shortlisted projects before recommendations are put forward to a panel of external judges, including the Executive Director of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT).
Apply now for 2017/18 World Habitat Awards
For More Information: