Application Deadline: March 26th 2021
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) is an initiative of Barack Obama, former President of the United States, which dates from 2010. The aim is to support young African leaders in their efforts to stimulate growth and prosperity, strengthen democratic governance and improve peace and security in the African continent.
Initially, it consisted of a series of high-level fora, including the Obama Forum with Young African Leaders in August 2010, the Forum of Young African Women Pioneers in June 2011, and the Summit on Innovation and Development. partnership for the mentorship of young African leaders of June 2012, in addition to the some two thousand (2000) youth activities that took place in American Embassies located across the African continent.Mandela Washington Fellowship , YALI Network , and YALI Regional Leadership Centers.
The Regional Leadership Centers were created in Africa, to have more impact by training more leaders. The centers are based in Nairobi (Kenya), Pretoria (South Africa), Accra (Ghana) and Dakar (Senegal)
THE DAKAR REGIONAL LEADERSHIP CENTER (CRL)?
Thanks to the support of USAID and the MasterCard Foundation, the African Center for Higher Studies in Management (CESAG) and its main partners (the Synapse Center and the West African Research Center) have established the Regional Leadership Center ( CRL) which offers future leaders of 25 African countries skills, tools and opportunities allowing them to realize their dream, and thus shape the future of the continent. The CRL YALI DAKAR covers from October 2020 the following 25 countries:BENIN, BURKINA FASO, BURUNDI, CAMEROON, CAPE VERDE, CENTRAL AFRICA, COMOROS, IVORY COAST, DJIBOUTI, GABON, REPUBLIC OF GUINEA, GUINEA BISSAU, EQUATORIAL GUINEA, MAURITIUS, MADAGASCAR, MALI, MAURITANIA, REPUBLIC OF GUINEA, GUINEA BISSAU, EQUATORIAL GUINEA, MAURITIUS, MADAGASCAR, MALI, MAURITANIA, REPUBLIC OF NIGRA CONGO, REPUBLIC OF CONGO, SAO TOME ET PRINCIPE, SENEGAL, SEYCHELLES, TCHAD and TOGO.
The YALI DAKAR Regional Leadership Center (CRL) housed within the African Center for Higher Studies in Management (CESAG) offers two types of training in the following 3 areas: Business and Entrepreneurship, Civic Leadership and Public Management. It is :
- hybrid training which takes place over 5 weeks with 2 weeks of online training followed by 3 weeks of face-to-face training in Dakar.
- distance training which takes place over 8 weeks entirely online and asynchronously.
The project targets young people aged between 18 and 35 with leadership potential and meeting the following criteria:
- be able to read and write in French;
- be a citizen and resident of one of the following 25 countries: BENIN, BURKINA FASO, BURUNDI, CAMEROON, CAPE VERDE, CENTRAL AFRICA, COMOROS, COTE D’IVOIRE, DJIBOUTI, GABON, REPUBLIC OF GUINEA, GUINEA BISSAU, EQUATORIAL GUINEA, ISLANDS MAURITIUS, MADAGASCAR, MALI, MAURITANIA, NIGER, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO, REPUBLIC OF CONGO, SAO TOME ET PRINCIPE, SENEGAL, SEYCHELLES, TCHAD and TOGO;
- have a valid passport or identity document;
- be willing to take the 8 week online course and participate in distance learning activities;
- be willing to take the 2-week online course, participate in activities and travel to Dakar for a 3-week period for the hybrid training;
- have access to the internet and to a computer tool (computer or tablet) to follow the online training phases (both in hybrid training and distance training);
- be willing to put the skills and training received in the field of leadership at the service of their country and / or community after the program.
Depending on your profile or your project, you must choose a single area of training: Business and Entrepreneurship, Civic leadership or public management.
Who can apply for the PUBLIC MANAGEMENT Program?
- a promoter of a project or project idea in the public sector (project bringing about change);
- a civil servant, a state contractor, a private sector employee or an agent of the decentralized administration;
Who can apply for the CIVIC LEADERSHIP Program (CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT)?
- a project leader in civic engagement;
- a leader of a youth club, association, non-profit organization, NGO or civil society organization;
- a social entrepreneur;
Who can apply for the BUSINESS ET ENTREPRENEURSHIP Program?
- a business project leader;
- an entrepreneur or business manager;
OTHER SELECTION CRITERIA FOR THE YALI DAKAR PROGRAM
The final selection for participation in the training programs of the YALI Regional Leadership Center based in Dakar will be made by a selection committee. In addition to the criteria mentioned above, the committee will also be based on the following criteria:
- good interpersonal and communication skills;
- good knowledge of youth leadership issues and development issues;
- the ability to work independently, with minimal supervision;
- the ability to integrate harmoniously and work in a small or large team;
- basic computer skills;
- sensitivity to culture, diversity and inclusion;
- a positive attitude;
- proof of commitment, sense of responsibility and integrity;
- proof of unwavering motivation for the positive transformation of Africa regardless of their level of education, professional background, origin or status.
For More Information: