Application Deadline: March 18th 2018
|Online Cohort 3||26/02/2018 8:00am South African Time||18/03/2018 23:59pm South African Time||04/05/2018||13/06/201|
|Online Cohort 4||26/02/2018 8:00am South African Time||18/03/2018 23:59pm South African Time||29/07/2018||07/09/2018|
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by President of the United States Barack Obama as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The need to invest in grooming strong, results-oriented leaders comes out of the statistics: nearly 1 in 3 Africans are between the ages of 10 and 24, and approximately 60% of Africa’s total population is below the age of 35.
Who will empower and lead these young Africans? Who will shape the future of business and entrepreneurship, civic leadership, and public management? In order to answer these questions, YALI promotes three models designed to identify and empower young leaders: the YALI Mandela Washington Fellowship, YALI Network, and now the establishment of Regional Leadership Centers across Africa.
The conceptualisation, development and curriculum content of the Regional Leadership Center Southern Africa (RLC SA) as led by the University of South Africa (Unisa) were heavily influenced by the developmental, political and economic dynamics of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) region.
The RLC SA will develop the young African leaders in Business and Entrepreneurship Development; Civic Leadership; and Public Management and Governance through a hybrid of innovative and complimentary approaches that include contact sessions; online mentoring; online self-paced tuition; industry placements and experiential learning.
The program is open to young African leaders aged 18 – 35 years old depending on their level of experience and track record in their chosen sector.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Age (18-35)
- English language proficiency
- Portuguese speaking participants will be accommodated in the Mozambique Hub at UEM
- A commitment to positively impact Africa, their own countries as well as communities
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and interest in Public Management, Entrepreneurship Development and Civic Leadership
- Commitment to serve the development agenda of the African continent
Young leaders from the following countries are eligible to participate in the programme: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The Program encourages applications from:
- Rural based and economically disadvantaged young leaders
- Young leaders with disabilities
- People who are HIV positive or who are living with AIDS
- Individuals that represent and advocate for the rights of LGBTIQ communities across the region
- Other minority groups
There is no fee to apply for or participate on the program. Applications for Online Program Cohort 3 & 4 is now open until 18th March 2018 (23:59, South Africa Time Zone)
How to Apply:
For More Information: