Submission Deadline: September 15 2015
Eligibility: The awards are open to all journalists anywhere in the world.
The United Nations Correspondents Association (UNCA) invites media worldwide to submit entries for its 18th Annual UNCA Awards Dinner and Dance for the best written and electronic media coverage of the United Nations, its agencies, and field operations.
The Awards Are:
1. The Elizabeth Neuffer Memorial Prize – sponsored by the Alexander Bodini Foundation, for written media (including online media) coverage of the UN and its agencies and their work.
Elizabeth Neuffer, the Boston Globe bureau chief at the United Nations, died while on assignment in Baghdad in 2003.
2. The Ricardo Ortega Memorial Prize – for broadcast journalism coverage of the UN, and its agencies.
Ricardo Ortega, formerly the New York correspondent for Antena 3 TV of Spain, was one of the leading Spanish journalists of his generation who was shot dead on mission, in Haiti in 2004.
3. The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation/UNCA Global Prize – for coverage of Climate Change.
The foundation promotes sustainable and equitable management of natural resources and places the individual at the center of its projects. It encourages the implementation of innovative and ethical solutions in three main categories: climate change, biodiversity, and water.
4. The United Nations Foundation prize – for any entry in any medium that best covers the humanitarian and development aspects of the U.N. and its agencies.
The prizes amount to over $50,000 with $10,000 each for the main categories.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will present the prizes at the Awards Gala dinner on Wednesday, December 18th at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York.
Work in print, Internet, radio or TV between August 2012 and August 2013, covering the U.N. and its agencies in whatever capacity may be submitted. The judges will look for entries with impact, insight and originality, and will take into account the courage, assiduity and investigative work of the journalist. Entries from the developing world media are particularly welcome.
Entries can be submitted in any of the official U.N. languages (English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, and Russian). Entries not in English or French must be accompanied by a translation.
Video entries should be in DVD (preferably NTSC format). A written transcript in English or French will assist judging of radio and TV entries.
A minimum of two (2) copies should be sent of each entry. Multiple or joint entries are accepted.
This year the entire entry process is submitted online by completing the UNCA Awards Entry Form on the UNCA website.
TO BEGIN, simply click on the 2013 UNCA Awards Entry Form below to complete your personal information and to upload your photo.
You can then choose to:
- Submit your work electronically by including web links and/or uploading all files directly on the Entry Form
- Submit your work by postal mail to the address indicated
Your entry must be received online with all mailed in materials postmarked no later than September 15, 2013
Questions regarding UNCA Awards & entries please contact:
Call the UNCA Office: +1 (212) 963-7137
Send an email to: [email protected]
Fedex, registered or couriered packages should be sent to:
UNCA Awards Committee
Mailbox 613, The Chrysler Building
132 East 43rd Street
New York, NY 10017, USA
+1 (212) 867-0001