Application deadline: November 12, 2013
Students changing the world—one business idea at a time
GSEC is an international student social business plan competition that challenges university-level students worldwide to use business principles to create sustainable, positive solutions to some of the world’s most challenging issues—poverty, health and development. Semi-finalist student teams from around the globe are invited to Seattle to present their ideas to coaches, mentors and judges and compete to win prizes.
In addition to the chance to win cash and in-kind prizes, GSEC provides teams an unparallelled experiential learning opportunity—meeting and competing against top students from around, the world, coaching and mentoring from health, development and business professionals, exposure to an extensive network of professionals and companies, and the chance to present to judges and investors.
Each year, the Global Social Entrepreneurship Competition brings the world to the University of Washington!
- All currently enrolled students in a degree-seeking program, at any level of study, at any academic institution of higher education worldwide may apply.
- All GSEC team members must be enrolled and regularly attending classes at the time of application and through GSEC week.
- Multidisciplinary teams of students from different areas of study and different institutions are encouraged.
- Teams or team members may reapply to GSEC each year, but repeat teams/team members MAY NOT submit the same business plan. Teams participating in GSEC may participate in other competitions.
- Semi-Finalist Teams traveling to GSEC week in Seattle may consist of a maximum of three (3) people.
- Individual applicants may submit more than one application, but if invited as a semifinalist on more than one team, may only participate in one team during GSEC week.
- All semi-finalist team members that travel to Seattle for GSEC Week must attend all required events, per the schedule Non-compliant team members risk disqualification.
- Advisers and observers are welcome to travel to Seattle for GSEC week, but they MAY NOT present at any competition activity, must pay for their own travel and accommodations, and will be charged a flat fee to take part in activities. They may not receive any monetary awards from the competition.
- All semi-finalist teams are responsible for the arrangements and expenses of travel and accommodations to participate in GSEC Week.
- Partial travel scholarships may be awarded to GSEC semi-finalist teams; priority will be given to teams from developing economies.
2013-14 GSEC SCHEDULE
GSEC supports students as they develop innovative business models that alleviate poverty and empower the poor. Throughout the process – from application to the week–long GSEC – students receive expert guidance, refine their business skills, develop their networks, and gain access to new resources.
Applications open: August 2013.
Application deadline: November 12, 2013.
Application Review & Semi-finalist selection/invitation: November-December, 2013
- Semi-finalist Dates:
December 2013 – February 24, 2014: Semi-finalist Teams paired and work with mentors
- January, 2014: Semi-finalist team documents due (draft business plan, final one page executive summary)
- February, 2014: Semi-finalist team final materials due (full business plan, one overview PPT slide)
- GSEC Week 2014: February 24 – February 28: All semi-finalist teams travel to Seattle for a week of competition events, including coaching, semi-finals, finals, a celebration dinner, and more events to network and interact with members of the University’s and Seattle’s vibrant community.
For More Information: