Application Deadline: March 15 2015
The challenge: Develop new learning solutions to empower children and communities around the world.
There are 57 million children around the world who have no access to any kind of primary school. In addition, 250 million kids who have some schooling do not learn basic literacy and numeracy. An estimated 250 million children around the world cannot read, write, or demonstrate basic arithmetic skills. Many of these children are in developing countries without regular access to quality schools or teachers.
In fact, UNESCO estimates that the world will need 1.6 million more teachers globally by 2015. And that number is set to double by 2030.
The $15 million Global Learning XPRIZE is a competition that challenges teams from around the world to develop open source scalable software solution that will enable children in developing countries to teach themselves basic reading, writing and arithmetic.
The Global Learning XPRIZE is a $15 million competition that will reward registered competitors (“Team”) whose technology results in the greatest levels of learning achievement in reading, writing and arithmetic by children with little or no access to quality education.
XPRIZE is looking to challenge the world to develop open source software that can make a powerful contribution toward creating dynamic learning environments accessible to all children, no matter where they live or their station in life, XPRiZE believes that children will not be passive consumers of knowledge, but rather active participants in a learning community.
The Global Learning XPRIZE envisions a future in which children anywhere in the world can become not merely consumers but also global producers of knowledge
The $15 million dollar prize will be awarded as follows:
Five finalist: $1 million each will be awarded by the Judging Panel to teams with the best proposed solutions.
Grand prize winner: $10 million will be awarded to the top performing team solution based on the field testing of the teams.
Who Can Participate?
- The competition is open to competitors globally of any age with a range of skill sets. Both individuals and teams are eligible to register.
- Each person or team wishing to enter must complete an Intent to Compete form.
- Team participants, vendors, and other interested parties may complete an Intent to Compete free of charge
- For a team to be eligible to compete and claim any award, a team must be an Eligible Entity, as defined in the Competitor Agreement, and must otherwise comply with all the terms of the Competitor Agreement (to be released later). Potential teams are also subject to these restrictions.
- Only teams that are successful in advancing completing each phase of registration will be invited to participate in the competition.
- A registration fee of US $500 will only be required from those individuals or groups wishing to create a formal team that will compete.
- All persons and or teams will receive key updates from XPRIZE regarding the competition and may become resources or partners of teams or the competition.
The Global Learning XPRIZE is a 4 and the half year, fixed-date competition with four phases, One of which involved testing the performance of competitor’s Entries/
The Major phases of the competition will be:
After the competition launches in September 2014, Individuals and Teams will have until March 31st 2015 to register and Pay
After Registration closes on March 31 2015, Teams will have 18 months (until September 30 2016) to develop there solutions.
During Phase 2, Semi-Finalists will be announced, followed three months later by the top five Finalists.
There will be 18 months of field testing from June 2017 through November 2018
A panel of judges will assess the results of the field testing beginning in December 2018, and the Grand Prize winner will be announced in March 2019
For More Information: