Application Deadline: 16 November 2014.
Calling all food waste warriors in high schools and universities worldwide – fight food waste and compete for thousands of dollars of prizes! Your challenge: uncover how much food gets wasted in your schools, organize a team and take action to reduce food waste!
Students or their schools can win up to US$5,000 that can be used to further implement their winning idea:
- Investigate how much food the school wastes every year and learn about the main causes of wasteor
- Take action to eliminate or reduce food waste in the schoolor
- Raise awareness in the school and/or community on the issue of food waste and why it should be eliminated
- Start by investigating about the problem – how much food gets wasted in your school? Then explore the solutions.
- What if the cafeteria went trayless? What if they offered an option of smaller portions?
- What if everyone that brought their own food to school became more mindful of how much they are able to eat?
- What if there is a way to redistribute the perfectly edible food to other charities?
Creating an awareness raising campaign can also help make a huge difference. Make a movie, take photos, spread the word through your and your school’s social networks using the hashtag #ThinkEatSave
1st Prize – US $5,000
2nd Prize – US $3,000
3rd Prize – US $2,000
Three winning projects will be selected based on:
Creativity – what new ideas and approaches were employed by the students in addressing the issue of food waste (30%)
Effectiveness – what results were accomplished e.g. how much food waste was reduced or what measures were adopted by the school to reduce food waste, and what plans are there to ensure the longevity of these reductions/new ideas (40%)
Reach – what was the level of interest and support generated; how many students participated in the activities? Were teachers, cafeteria staff, parents and families actively engaged? How much social media engagement was employed (30%)