World Nomads is giving one aspiring photographer the opportunity to accompany renowned wildlife and natural history photographer, Jason Edwards, on assignment in the Peruvian Amazon.
You will begin your photographic journey in the ancient capital of the Inca Empire – Cusco – where you will explore the rich history and culture of the Andean Mountain landscapes with Explorandes. From there you will travel into the heart of the Amazon basin to Madre de Dios, where you will explore one of the planet’s top biodiversity hotspots.
During your Rainforest Expeditions trip, you will find out firsthand what life is like in the field for a travel photographer while capturing the rainforest wildlife and the conservation projects that WWF Peru supports to protect the biodiverse ecosystems and the livelihoods of the indigenous communities who call the Amazon forest home.
This opportunity is open photography students or keen amateurs/pro-amateurs looking build a career in travel photography.
- Any non-professional can apply – this is open photography students or keen amateurs/pro-amateurs looking build a career in travel photography.
- You may be a resident of any country (subject to obtaining a Peruvian visa).
- Minimum age 18 by the application deadline (November 24, 2014) with a current valid passport.
- You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way.
- You must be fit and healthy as moderate levels of physical work are involved as well as a number of late nights!
- You should be an exceptional photographer with a lust for adventure, have a strong desire to be mentored and grow your photographic knowledge and skills, an ambition to forge a career in travel photography.
For the winning photographer, the prize includes the following:
- A 12-day bespoke trip to the Amazon with WWF Peru, Rainforest Expeditions and Explorandes
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Cusco, Peru where you will meet your mentor and a small film crew and then head off to Madre de Dios to begin your assignment
- A 12-day professional mentorship from Jason Edwards
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads
The 4 runners’ up will receive:
A FREE 45-min portfolio review from Jason Edwards (valued at $800 AUD)
The 25 shortlisted photographers will receive:
The option of a 45-min paid portfolio review with Jason Edwards (special rate of $400 AUD)
How to Apply:
To apply, submit your photo essay about yourself and what winning this scholarship would mean to you.
If your photos (with captions and essay) are not ready, suggest you come back later to complete this entry.
1. Shoot your photo story (maximum of 5 images).
Your images must tell a story about a place you have visited. ‘Place’ may be anywhere; somewhere in your own community or much further away. Each of the 5 shots must have accompanying caption text (1-2 sentences) to help contextualise the shot.
2. Complete the application form.
3. Upload your photos.
If you choose, you can upload your photos as a Flickr set. Your application photos need to be the only 5 photos in the particular Flickr set.
Nov 24 : Applications close
Nov 25 – Dec 18 : Application judging
Dec 19 : Winner announced
Apr 6 – Apr 19 : Assignment in Peru
For More Information: