Application Deadline: 6th June 2015
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) In-Country/In-Region Scholarships Programme and African university partners, requests applications for doctoral research scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS).
icipe is an international scientific research institute, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya that works towards improving lives and livelihoods of people in Africa. The centre’s main objective is to research and develop alternative and environmentally-friendly pest and vector management strategies that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and which are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities.
Scholars conduct their research at icipe’s laboratories and field sites located in various agro-ecological zones.
- Twelve DAAD-ARPPIS PhD scholarships are available in 2015.
- Scholarships cover all costs of the PhD programme, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees, and research and training costs. Financial support for the scholarships is provided in part by DAAD and also by icipe.
- Successful candidates will carry out their research in selected projects at icipe (see Annex 1 for a list of Eligible Projects and specific applicant requirements).
- Successful candidates will develop a full proposal and register with an ARPPIS partner university in Africa after they commence their PhD programme at icipe.
- The PhD programme will commence in September 2015.
- A national of any country in sub-Sahara Africa.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum pass of second-class, upper division.
- A Master’s degree taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project.
- The Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a maximum age of 36 years (men) or 40 years (women) by 31st December 2015.
- Additional specific entrance requirements will be considered for admission, depending on the PhD project selected by the candidate (see Annex 1 for specific requirements).
- A good command of the English language (written & spoken).
- Completed application forms and accompanying supporting documents.
Please note that there are two parts to the application: (1) an application to icipe, and (2) an application to DAAD.
1. Applicants must submit all the following documents to icipe by email to [email protected] (please submit the documents in English where possible):
- Fully completed ARPPIS PhD Scholarships – 2015 Application Form (Annex 2)
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the Europass Format: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Certified copies of official university certificates and transcripts, and any other professional or academic certificates
- Copy of a signed letter of nomination for the ARPPIS PhD Programme by the employer (if currently employed) or University where MSc was undertaken. The letter must be on institute letterhead.
- Copy of passport-style photograph (colour)
- Copy of National ID
- Copy of Passport (biodata page)
In case of any questions regarding the submission to icipe, kindly contact:
Ms. Lilian Igweta, Training Officer, Capacity Building and Institutional Development Programme, icipe, [email protected], Tel: +254 20 863 2272
2. The following documents must be sent to DAAD by email to [email protected]
- All documents requested by icipe (see 1, above)
- The completed DAAD Application Form (Annex 3)
- All additional documents requested by the DAAD Information Sheet for Scholars (Annex 4)
- A signed copy of the DAAD Information Sheet for Scholars
In case of any questions regarding the submission to DAAD, kindly contact: