Application Deadline: 16.00 (GMT) 11th February 2015
The Irish Research Council has opened the 2015 call for the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme offers scholarships for suitably qualified individuals to pursue a postgraduate degree in any discipline at an eligible HEI within Ireland.
In addition, a number of targeted Scholarships are offered in collaboration with strategic funding partners. Applicants may only apply for one Scholarship and should carefully consider which Scholarship to apply for.
- All Scholarships will commence with effect from 1st October 2015 (no later or earlier).
- The duration of funding to be given for the Scholarship is dependent on the type of degree being pursued and the date of first registration.
- A Scholar who is a new entrant to the degree for which the Council has awarded funding is entitled to funding for the full duration of the degree subject always to these Terms and Conditions.
- Scholars are selected in accordance with the Council’s Postgraduate Scholarship application and assessment process.
- Scholars must be full-time students affiliated with an eligible HEI in Ireland.
- Scholars must fulfil the following criteria:
- must not be a permanent member of staff in an HEI or in a non-Irish based research body or HEI.
- must have a first class or upper second-class honours primary degree, or the equivalent
must not have applied more than once to the Scheme (including strategic partner themes within the Scheme).
and at the time of application:be a new entrant to the degree for which they are to receive Council funding and have been formally accepted by the relevant department/school by, at the latest, 1st October 2015
- A maintenance award of €16,000 per annum within the Funding Term;
- Contribution to fees, including non-EUscholarship fees, paid to the HEI up to a maximum of €5,750.
- Any differential must be paid by the Scholar and/or HEI per annum.
- Scholars who hold a fee waiver from their HEI, or where no fee is required, or where fees are paid in full or in part by a third party, must inform the Council and the appropriate offices in their HEI and will not be eligible for the fee portion of the Scholarship
Eligible direct research support expenses to enable the Scholar to carry out the research project, including essential research supplies such as small consumables; books and journals; pay as you go access to national research infrastructure; software and hardware critical for the research- to be obtained in the first year of the award or the first 3 months of a 1 year award; archival research costs ; conference travel and participation; generic and/or specialist disciplinary skills training; publishing and write-up costs
The maximum that can be spent in any year of the Scholarship is €24,000, plus any unspent balance of eligible direct research support expenses carried over from the previous year of the Scholarship.
- Athlone Institute of Technology
- Carlow College
- Church of Ireland College of Education
- Coláiste Mhuire Marino
- Cork Institute of Technology
- Dublin City University
- Dublin Institute of Technology
- Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies
- Dublin Dental Hospital
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Dún Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design & Technolog
- Froebel College of Education
- Galway–Mayo Institute of Technology
- Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown
- Institute of Technology, Carlow
- Institute of Technology, Sligo
- Institute of Technology, Tallaght
- Institute of Technology, Tralee
- Letterkenny Institute of Technology
- Limerick Institute of Technology
- Marino College
- Mary Immaculate College, Limerick
- Mater Dei Institute of Education
- Maynooth University
- Milltown Institute of Theology and Philosophy, Dublin
- National College of Art and Design
- National College of Ireland
- National University of Ireland Galway
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Royal Irish Academy
- Royal Irish Academy of Music
- Shannon College of Hotel Management, Co. Clare
- St. Angela’s College, Sligo
- St Patrick’s College, Carlow
- St. Patrick’s College, Drumcondra
- St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth (Pontifical University)
- St. Patrick’s College, Thurles
- Tipperary Institute
- University College Cork
- University College Dublin
- University of Dublin, Trinity College
- University of Limerick
- Waterford Institute of Technology
|Call open||4th December 2014|
|FAQ Deadline||16.00 (GMT) 4th February 2015|
|Applicant Deadline||16.00 (GMT) 11th February 2015|
|Supervisor and Referee Deadline||16.00 (GMT) 18th February 2015|
|Research Office Endorsement Deadline||16.00 (GMT) 25th February 2015|
|Outcome of Scheme||June 2015|
|Scholarship Start Date||1st October 2015|
- As an aid to preparing an application prior to the opening of the online application system, an indicative Word document version of the application form is provided below.
- Indicative Supervisor and Referee forms are also provided.
- Please note that these forms are for information purposes: all applicants (and Supervisors and Referees) must register and submit their applications through the online application according to the deadlines listed below.
Indicative Application Forms (Word)
For More Information: