The deadline for applications is 15 January, 2015.
Applications are invited, especially from candidates in the East African Community Partner States (i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda), for entry into a postgraduate study programme in law (LLM or PhD) offered by the Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) starting on 1 August, 2015.
The TGCL offers aspiring lawyers and law students from the Partner States of the East African Community a structured LLM and PhD study programme with the goal of qualifying them for leading positions in the region. The programme is conducted at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law, in close cooperation with the Institute of African Studies and the Faculty of Law, Business and Economics, University of Bayreuth.
Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies is one of five centres established in Africa under the name “African Excellence – Fachzentren zur Eliteförderung”, funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the German Foreign Office within the programme “Aktion Afrika”.
Requirements and Qualifications
The requirements for admission to the LLM and PhD programmes are those applicable at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law, i.e. for the LLM programme a Bachelor’s degree in law (LLB) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent from a recognised institution of higher legal education, and for the PhD programme an excellent LLM degree from a recognised institution.
- A limited number of scholarships is available for LLM and PhD students admitted to the programmes. A scholarship will cover the University fee and a health insurance. An annual amount of 2,400 EUR for Tanzanians and of 3,000 EUR for Non-Tanzanians will be paid to cover the cost of living.
- A lump sum of 460 EUR for LLM and 920 EUR for PhD will be paid for the cost of research. The LLM scholarship covers a period of one year, and the PhD scholarship a period of three years.
- a completed University of Dar es Salaam application form (at www.tgcl.uni-bayreuth.de, under: Programmes–Application–Admission: UDSM Application Form)
- a one page letter of motivation-a curriculum vitae with clear evidence of periods of legal and other relevant education, training and practical experience
- photocopies of all relevant certificates (birth certificate, school leaving certificates, certificates of legal or other professional education, including provisional results for applicants who are in the final year of their LLB studies); in the case of documents not in English an official translation should be attached
- three letters of recommendation (signed and sealed)
- three passport
- size photographs
- a release letter from your employer (if you are employed)
- a commitment letter showing that the required fees will be paid for one full year at the beginning of the program me
- a proposal of the intended research ( for LLM candidates: 1,500 words ; for PhD candidates: 3,000 words)
- for PhD candidates: a copy of your LLM dissertation
Please send your application for admission using the prescribed forms both as hard copy and as electronic copy to the following address:
Dr Benedict T. Mapunda
University of Dar es Salaam School of Law
P.O. Box 35093
Dar es Salaam
fax: +255 22 2410 103
email: [email protected]
For More Information: