Application Deadline: March 1st 2016
The Ernst Mach Grants are named after the famous Austrian physicist and philosopher Ernst Mach (1838-1916). The grant program is financed by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy (BMWFW).
Students and young researchers from foreign universities are invited to apply for this grant to come to Austria for a research or a study stay. Every year a board of representatives of the Austrian Ministry awards the Ernst Mach Grants based on the results of an expert examination procedure. Age limit for this grant program is 35 years at the time of the application.
- Natural Sciences
- Technical Sciences
- Human Medicine, Health Sciences
- Agricultural Sciences
- Social Sciences
Countries of Origin
Afghanistan; Algeria; American Samoa; Angola; Antigua and Barbuda; Argentina; Armenia; Australia; Azerbaijan; Bahamas; Bahrain; Bangladesh; Barbados; Belize; Benin; Bhutan; Bolivia; Botswana; Brazil; Brunei Darussalam; Burkina Faso; Burundi; Cabo Verde; Cambodia; Cameroon; Canada; Central African Republic; Chad; Chile; China; Colombia; Comoros; Congo; Congo – Democratic Republic of the; Costa Rica; Cote D’Ivoire; Cuba; Djibouti; Dominica; Dominican Republic; Ecuador; Egypt; El Salvador; Equatorial Guinea; Eritrea; Ethiopia; Fiji; Gabon; Gambia; Georgia; Ghana; Grenada; Guatemala; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Haiti; Honduras; India; Indonesia; Iran – Islamic Republic of; Iraq; Israel; Jamaica; Japan; Jordan; Kazakhstan; Kenya; Kiribati; Korea – Democratic People’s Republic of; Korea – Republic of; Kuwait; Kyrgyzstan; Lao People’s Democratic Republic; Lebanon; Lesotho; Liberia; Libya; Madagascar; Malawi; Malaysia; Maldives; Mali; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Mauritius; Mexico; Micronesia – Federated States of; Mongolia; Morocco; Mozambique; Myanmar; Namibia; Nauru; Nepal; New Zealand; Nicaragua; Niger; Nigeria; Oman; Pakistan; Palau; Panama; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Peru; Philippines; Qatar; Rwanda; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Sao Tome and Principe; Saudi Arabia; Senegal; Seychelles; Sierra Leone; Singapore; Solomon Islands; Somalia; South Africa; South Sudan; Sri Lanka; Sudan; Suriname; Swaziland; Syrian Arab Republic; Taiwan; Tajikistan; Tanzania – United Rebublic of; Thailand; Timor-Leste; Togo; Tonga; Trinidad and Tobago; Tunisia; Turkmenistan; Tuvalu; Uganda; Ukraine; United Arab Emirates; United States; Uruguay; Uzbekistan; Vanuatu; Venezuela; Viet Nam; West Bank and Gaza Strip; Western Sahara; Yemen; Zambia; Zimbabwe
Eligible for application are students who
a) are studying a master Programme at a university in one of the above-defined countries of origin or
b) are studying a Bachelor Programme at a university in one of the above-defined countries of origin and have successfully completed at least 4 semesters of studies by the time of taking up the grant.
Maximum age: 35 years (born on or after October 1st, 1980).
The “Ernst Mach grant worldwide” is open to
- postgraduates pursuing a doctoral/PhD program outside Austria,
- postgraduates and post-docs wishing to do research in Austria with a view to an academic career and who have completed their studies (at an university outside Austria),
- or post-docs who are working as lecturers at a foreign university outside Austria. Duration of stay is limited to a maximum of 9 months (extension are not possible within this program)
- Maximum age: 35 years (born on or after October 1st, 1980).
- Applicants must not have studied/pursued research/pursued academic work in Austria in the last six months before taking up the grant.
Supplementary grant, own funds are required!
1) Monthly grant rate 940 EUR
2) Accident and health insurance, accommodation
a) If necessary, the OeAD-GmbH will take out an accident and health insurance on behalf of the grant recipient.
b) The OeAD-GmbH will endeavour to provide accommodation (student hall of residence or flat) for recipients of grants who wish to get accommodation arranged by the OeAD. Monthly costs: 220 EUR to 470 EUR .
For accommodation arranged by the OeAD-GmbH an administration fee of 18 EUR per month is payable. The costs for insurance and accommodation have to be paid out of the grant by the recipient of the grant.
3) Recipients of grants are exempted from paying tuition fees.
4) Recipients of grants from non-European developing countries will also receive a travel costs subsidy of 730 EUR maximum.
E-Mail: Mr. Michael Schedl (e-mail: [email protected])
For More Information: