Application Deadline: 25 September 2016.
The call for GYA membership from 2017 is now open.
Applications are sought from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
Founded in 2010, the Global Young Academy is an international organization of young researchers with members from six continents. Members are selected for five year terms. Each member should attend the Annual General Meeting (week of 15 May 2017) and is expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organization’s programs, which include participation in policy development, promotion of national young academies, supporting science and education at the international level, and the young scientist ambassador program.
- The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the sciences, medicine, engineering, social sciences, the arts and humanities.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of excellence in their discipline.
- The Global Young Academy is committed to a broad range of programs around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Applicants should be in the early years of their independent careers.
- The majority of the GYA’s members are aged 30-40 and the typical period from completion of a PhD or similar degree is 3-10 years.
- Applicants falling significantly outside these ranges may be considered under exceptional circumstances.
- The Global Young Academy encourage applications from all qualified candidates. Applications from women, researchers in the social sciences, arts and humanities, scholars working in government, industry, and non-governmental sectors, and from candidates in regions where the GYA has no current representation are particularly welcome.
- Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organization’s programs, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, supporting science and education at the international level.
- The GYA is an active working group, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part.
- In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting, which is scheduled for the week of 15 May 2017.
Applications should be completed personally by the candidate and must be accompanied by a letter of support. Application forms and instructions can be downloaded below and should be emailed to [email protected].
For More Information: