Application Deadline: August 15, 2016
The United Nations Association of Germany (UNA Germany) is delighted to announce the call for applications for a workshop on Establishing a United Nations Youth Delegate Programme in Countries of the Global South. The workshop will support 6 to 8 young people from countries of the Global South with an active UNA/UNYA but without a UN Youth Delegate Programme in starting a UN Youth Delegate Programme in their respective countries.
Out of 193 UN member states, less than 30 member states have a Youth Delegate Programme in place, even though the UN General Assembly has repeatedly called on member states to consider including youth representatives in their delegations to the UN General Assembly and to other important UN meetings (first starting in 1981: A/RES/36/17). With the adoption of the World Programme of Action for Youth (WPAY, A/RES/50/81) in 1995, UN member states have once again contributed to increase youth participation at international level. The WPAY invites member states to send youth representatives along with their delegations to the General Assembly, and hence to involve youths in decision-making processes.
In addition, the workshop participants are invited to join UNA Germany´s Youth Conference “It’s up to YOUth” held in Bonn from November 25-27, 2016. Travel, accommodation and meal costs will be covered.
The aims of the workshop are:
● To provide information and guidance on how to establish a UN Youth Delegate Programme in your home country;
● To discuss how to involve young people from your home country in the international development policy and decision-making agenda;
● To establish a network of active young people in the Global South;
● To support youth participation and activities in your countries.
This workshop will support young people to be agents of change. The goal is to empower them to be active global citizens contributing to building a world of justice, equity, and dignity.
Applicants should be:
● Between 18 and 25 years of age (in November 2016);
● Committed to youth participation;
● Interested in international affairs, particularly in youth issues;
● Passionate about solving the world’s most pressing problems and working to engage young people in this important agenda;
● Residents of a country in the Global South with an active UNA/UNYA*;
● Able to travel to Bonn, Germany, for up to a week in November 2016 (most likely November 22–29).
Skill and qualification requirements:
● Be a self-starter;
● Civil society engagement, preferably in the area of youth participation;
● Support from the UNA/UNYA in your home country*;
● Knowledge of current international affairs;
● Proven ability to work collaboratively with others, e.g. senior NGO or government representatives, young people, etc.
● Fluency in English;
● Excellent writing, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
● Culturally competent.
All information must be compiled in one WORD document or PDF and submitted via email
to: [email protected] by 5pm CET on August 15, 2016. The title of the email (subject) should read: “Application UN Youth Delegate Workshop 2016”. Your application should include the following:
A. Personal/Contact Details:
● Your Last Name, First Name
● Contact address
● E-mail address
● Phone number
● Language skills
● Special Needs
B. Brief Statement on:
● Your educational qualifications/experiences
● Your work experiences
● Your volunteer experiences
● Extra-curricular activities/hobbies
C. Letter of Motivation
D. Brief Analysis (max. 2 pages): “Opportunities and Challenges of Establishing a Youth Delegate Programme in my Country”
D. Letter of support from the UNA/UNYA in your country*
For More Information: