Application Deadline: 11th May 2017
The TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences was established in response to the needs of researchers in developing countries, particularly those attached to institutions that lack appropriate research facilities. Under this scheme, grants can be awarded for research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics either to individual young researchers, or to research units in the science-and-technology-lagging countries (S&TLC) identified by TWAS, to enable them to purchase the research facilities they need to enhance their productivity.
The TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences aims to:
- Reinforce and promote scientific research in basic sciences in developing countries;
- Strengthen developing countries’ endogenous capacity in science;
- Reduce the exodus of scientific talents from the South;
- Build and sustain units of scientific excellence in S&TLC over a longer period to help them achieve a critical mass of highly qualified and innovative scientists capable of addressing real-life problems facing their countries.
- Individual applicants must be nationals of developing countries. They must hold a PhD, be at the beginning of their careers, but already have some research experience. They must hold a position at a university or research institution in one of the S&TLCs and be under 45 years of age.
- Applications from women scientists and those working in Least Developed Countries are especially encouraged.
- Individual scientists who submit a satisfactory final report on a previous grant may apply for a renewal.
How to apply
- TWAS Research Grant applications can ONLY be submitted online now by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab at the bottom of this page.
- Please note that a researcher may only submit one application at a time and for only one kind of grant (either as an individual applicant, as a research unit or COMSTECH). Applicants cannot apply for other TWAS programmes i.e. Postdoctoral, Visiting Scholar and Visiting Researcher programme within the same year in order to be present in their home country throughout the duration of the grant.
- For any queries please contact Ms. P. Patel, e-mail: [email protected]
When to apply
- The deadline for receiving applications is 11 May 2017. We strongly recommend that you do not wait until the deadline but submit the application as early as you can to enable us to process your application as quickly as possible.
- Please note that the assignment meetings of the TWAS Research Grants Committees will be held by the end of the year. Applicants will be notified of the outcome shortly after the meeting.
For More Information: