Application Deadline: May 31st 2020
L’ORÉAL-UNESCO FOR WOMEN IN SCIENCE INTERNATIONAL AWARDS 2021 EDITION
PHYSICAL SCIENCES – MATHEMATICS – COMPUTER SCIENCE
Created in 1998, the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Awards recognize and support eminent women in science throughout the world. Each year, five Laureates are recognized for their contributions to the advancement of science, in Life Sciences or Physical Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science in alternating years.
The 2021 edition of the Awards will designate five outstanding scientific researchers in the field of Physical Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science, working in the following regions:
- Africa & the Arab States
- Asia and the Pacific
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- North America
- One candidate will be selected for each of the five regions, the determining factor being the place of
work for at least 5 years, not the nationality of the candidate.
- Each of the five Laureates will receive an award of €100,000.
The candidate must:
- Be recognized for her scientific excellence by the international scientific community,
- Be actively involved in scientific research,
- Work in any field of the Physical Sciences, Mathematics or Computer Science mentioned in
appendix 1, For your information, there is no age constraint regarding the candidate.
The selection criteria of the candidates are the following:
- The candidate’s outstanding contribution to the general advancement of science,
- The impact of the candidate’s research on the current state of the relevant scientific field
(number, quality and impact of publications, conference presentations, patents),
- The recognition of the candidate by peers within her discipline through publications,
-The recognition of the candidate’s commitments to education, teaching activities, mentoring and/or
to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals more broadly.
The L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science Awards are non-renewable
Scientists around the world are invited to nominate candidates for the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science Awards.
To be considered eligible for an award, it is necessary to be nominated in writing by an eminent scientist. Self-nominations are not eligible, nor nominations from immediate family members. Teams are not eligible for nomination.
Qualified nominators may be :
Heads of University or Scientific Institutions,
Members of Academies of Science,
Holders of Research Chairs,
Past For Women in Science Award Laureates,
or at a minimum holders of a PhD in Science.
Nominations can only be submitted electronically through the online dedicated platform: https://www.forwomeninscience.com/en/awards and have to be written in English. If new to the system, the nominator will need to create a user ID and password.
. Provisional Timetable
Nominations opening date: April 20th 2020
Nominations closing date: May 31st 2020
Pre-selection by peer review: early June to early July 2020
Examination by the Jury: mid-July to early-September 2020
Jury deliberation meeting: mid-September 2020
For Women in Science week: March 5th to 12th 2021
For Women in Science Awards Ceremony: March 11th 2021