Application Deadline: Sunday 14 January 2018 23:59 GMT
The ACU Summer School 2018 will be a stimulating week of expert lectures by local and international speakers, skills development, social events providing insights into the fascinating culture of Hong Kong, group work, networking opportunities, and field trips to key sites such as the Jao Tsung-I Academy, the Blue House Cluster, and the Mapopo Community Farm.
The Summer School programme has been developed by senior academics from The Chinese University of Hong Kong’s well-established Urban Studies programme. It’s a small and friendly event which is capped at 50 participants.
Eligibility and registration fees
- The registration fee is £400 GBP for students from ACU member universities and £500 GBP for students from non-member institutions.
- Participants must be current postgraduate or final year undergraduate students. More information on eligibility and fees can be found here.
- A number of bursaries are available for students from ACU member universities. Please ensure that you meet the bursary criteria before applying.
The particular urban environment of Hong Kong makes it a perfect location for a Summer School on the theme of Designing and Creating Sustainable Communities.
The draft programme can be found here.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Professor Jenny Cameron – Geography and Environmental Studies, The University of Newcastle, Australia
- Christopher Law, JP – Founding Director, Oval Partnership; and Member of Development Committee, West Kowloon Cultural District
- Professor Ng Mee Kam – Director, Urban Studies Programme, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Professor Peter Ngau – Centre for Urban Research and Innovations, University of Nairobi, Kenya
- Dr Edgar Pieterse – Director of the African Centre for Cities, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Professor Hendrik Tieben – School of Architecture, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Ada Wong, JP – Director, Hong Kong Institute of Contemporary Culture; and Chairperson, Make A Difference Institute
- Students from all ACU member universities are eligible to apply for bursaries.
You should only apply for a bursary if:
a) you have never previously travelled outside your home region and;
b) you would otherwise be unable to attend the Summer School for financial reasons
Bursaries cover full Summer School participation, including the academic programme, social events and site visits, accommodation, most meals, airport pick-ups, and a return economy flight from your home country.
Students from ACU member institutions in Hong Kong are welcome to apply for bursaries; in this case flights will not be included.
Bursaries do not include the cost of visas and health insurance. Participants are responsible for making their own visa arrangements.
For More Information: