Application Deadline: 1st September, 2023
The African Union (AU) Media Fellowship is a prestigious program that aims to empower African media professionals, journalists and content creators to promote development- focused stories using emerging technologies. The Information and Communication Directorate of the AU launched the AU Media Fellowship in 2022 with the aim of providing African storytellers and journalists a platform to utilise media to inform, educate and empower citizens; bridge knowledge gaps, and drive Africa’s development narrative in alignment with the aspirations and goals of the continent’s development framework of Agenda 2063.
Applicants to the AU Media Fellowship programme are citizens of Member States of the African Union.
Key to the AU Media Fellowship journey is access to industry professionals and experts who act as Mentors who support the fellows throughout the programme.
The objective of the Mentorship program is to provide guidance, support, and expertise to the fellows, helping them enhance their skills, knowledge, and professional growth.
Mentors will play a critical role in shaping the fellows’ understanding of the media landscape, providing industry insights, fostering a collaborative and supportive environment.
- 10 years of experience and expertise in the media industry, journalism, or content creation.
- Sound knowledge of emerging media technologies and trends.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and guide emerging professionals.
- Understanding of the African media landscape, related sectors and development issues.
- Availability to commit to regular mentorship meetings and support the fellowsthroughout the fellowship period.
SCOPE OF WORK
The mentors will be assigned to individual fellows or groups of fellows, depending on their expertise and the focus areas of the fellows.
The period of mentorship will span the duration of the fellowship, typically lasting for 12 months. The specific responsibilities of the mentors include:
- Mentoring and providing guidance to the assigned fellow(s) based on their areas of expertise and experience.
- Assisting the fellows in setting clear goals and objectives for their fellowship projects.
- Conducting regular virtual or in-person meetings with the fellows to discuss theirprogress, challenges, and provide feedback.
- Sharing industry insights, best practices, and practical advice to help the fellows navigatethe media landscape.
- Offering constructive feedback and guidance on the fellows’ project deliverables;ensuring quality and relevance.
- Encouraging networking opportunities and facilitating connections with relevantindustry professionals and stakeholders.
- Supporting the fellows in developing their professional skills, including research,storytelling techniques, use of emerging technologies, and effective communicationtechniques.
- Monitoring the fellows’ progress and providing timely recommendations forimprovement.
- Participating in mentorship training and workshops organised by the AU MediaFellowship program, as required.
REPORTING AND COORDINATION
- Mentors will report to the AU Media Fellowship Program coordinators and participate in regular reviews and evaluation sessions.
- They will provide progress reports and feedback on the fellows’ performance and overall mentorship experience.
The mentorship engagement will align with the duration of the AU Media Fellowship programme , typically lasting for 12 months.
Note: Mentors will receive a stipend or honorarium for their services, as per the agreement with the AU Media Fellowship program. Costs of travel (including accommodation) as and when required will be covered through the AU Media Fellowship as per the travel rules and regulations of the African Union or its participating AU Media Fellowship programme partners
Interested individuals should submit their applications, including a CV and a brief statement of interest, highlighting their relevant experience and expertise. The selection of mentors will be based on their qualifications, expertise, and alignment with the goals of the AU Media Fellowship program.
Submissions should be sent via email with the subject line “Mentor Application: AU Media Fellowship 2.0” [email protected]
For More Information: