Application Deadline: December 7th 2021
Al Jazeera aim to contribute to the ongoing efforts of many Arab and international institutions to improve journalism. To this end, the Fellowship programmes offered by the Al Jazeera Media Institute (AJMI) seek to encourage research in media and other fields of journalism, as well as to provide fellows with the opportunity to learn through practical experience within the Al Jazeera Media Network (AJMN).
- To contribute to the development of high-quality journalism in the Global South and to help journalists to adapt to modern technologies.
- To encourage innovation and research.
- To enrich journalistic content in the Global South.
- To provide an opportunity for journalists and researchers to be immersed in AJMN’s work culture and environment, and to learn about its journalistic practices.
As part of the Al Jazeera Fellowship, journalists and scholars will have the opportunity to write a 7,000-word research paper on selected fields of journalism. Successful applicants to the programme will:
- Join a team within AJMN and experience the working environment first-hand.
- Meet with editors, journalists and other staff, relevant to their research proposal.
Programme suitable for
Full-time journalists and researchers with a background in media or social sciences.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Full-time journalist or researcher (freelancer or employed).
- At least four years of professional experience in journalism or research, relevant to journalistic and/or media fields.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Fluent in English (speaking and writing).
- In order to apply for the Fellowship, applicants must have a proper grasp of English academic writing.
- The Al Jazeera Fellowship in English is only open to those from non-Arab countries. Those from Arab countries may apply to our Arabic Fellowship Programme.
The programme will take two months to complete, divided into two main phases:
Phase 1 (To be completed remotely): The researcher will work on and submit a research plan and an introduction to his or her research paper before proceeding to phase 2.
Phase 2 (To be completed at Al Jazeera Media Network Headquarters): The researcher will continue the research until final submission of the paper.
If you are selected to take part in the Fellowship Programme, you will commit to the following:
- Develop and submit a research paper of up to 7,000 words, as per the AJMI guidelines (these will be provided to successful applicants).
- Fellow must be accountable at all times. Monthly reports on work status/progress and completion must be submitted.
- Be an active and engaged member of the Al Jazeera community.
In addition to completing the online application form, applicants are required to submit the following documents in PDF format, with the exception of video, images or other graphic materials provided as work samples. Please note that if any of the following is missing, the application will not be considered.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Fellowship proposal (must include title, field of interest, objectives, methodology, abstract).
- Signed letter of commitment.
- Three samples of the applicant’s work in English.
- Two letters of recommendation.
For More Information: