Application Deadline: 2nd September 2019
The Allianz Climate Risk Research Award supports scientific research that improves our understanding of climate change-related risks. The 2019 Award focuses on how science can help insurers deal with extreme weather and climate risks.
The Award is intended to support researchers whose research focuses on:
- Reducing the risk of extreme weather events that are intensified by climate change
- Fostering resilience by applying technological solutions
PhD students who are in the final stage of their research and postdoctoral researchers who have recently finished their research, are invited to apply. We welcome individual applications from the fields of natural sciences as well as economic and social sciences.
Four finalists receive a monetary award and are invited to an Award ceremony at Allianz Headquarters in Munich on 26 November 2019 to present their findings and take part in an interactive discussion with renown experts from both industry and academia.
As part of the application process, applicants must submit a two-page non-technical essay based on their research. Allianz will publish the ten best essays in a compendium.
- University students currently pursuing either a PhD degree or a post-doc, as well as recent PhD graduates or recent post-doc graduates. (Graduation/defense of final research to obtain title should not be more than two years before the time of the application)
- Research applicable to focus and topic of Award
- Completed application for (download here)
- Supporting documents consists of:
- Research summary (Further info in Application form)
- A letter of recommendation from the candidate’s academic mentor (Further info in Application form)
- Filled and signed declaration doem (download here)
- Alianz welcome the four finalists to travel to Munich-Germany for the Award’s event. Allianz Re will cover all travel costs (please refer to FAQ)
- Eagerness to be part of internal and external communication around the Award (e.g. interviews)
- Innovation: Research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing risks of natural catastrophes and on how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies
- Impact: Research project can make a difference on the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience
- Applicability: Research project addresses a relevant problem and is ideally connected to a practical solution
- Academic excellence: Sound research approach and methodology
- Application form (pdf) must be sent, together with supporting documents to: research-award[at]allianz[dot]com by 2 September 2019 (Further info Application form)
- The Jury will announce the four finalists and award the certificates and prize money at the Award event in Munich
For More Information: