Application Deadline: 24 October 2022!
The BMZ African-German Leadership Academy is an innovative training and dialogue programme that brings together early to mid-career professionals from Germany and its African partner countries namely, Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Morocco, Zambia, Senegal, Tunisia and Togo. The programme aims to develop leadership skills and enable joint knowledge creation and peer learning needed for sustainable development, in accordance with the objectives of Africa’s Agenda 2063 and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The programme is organised and hosted by the German Institute of Development and Sustainability (IDOS) and funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The format of the dialogue and training programme sees 25 participants from government institutions, think tanks and research institutions, civil society and the private sector brought together to share their experience of and expertise in working in the area of sustainable development. Participation in the programme also facilitates networking opportunities with German and European stakeholders from various sectors and with representatives from African institutions.
The BMZ African-German Leadership Academy is grounded on three essential elements that contribute to capacity development: knowledge, leadership and action.
- Knowledge element offers participants the space to exchange knowledge and jointly learn about the themes of governance and sustainability, on both a global and local level. In our academic modules, participants strengthen their analytical capabilities through engagement with different concepts and the direct interaction with diverse scientific and practice-oriented stakeholders. This includes encounters in discussions, workshops and site-visits to selected institutions. A study trip to Brussels provides first-hand practical insights into policy-making.
- Leadership modules focus on developing individual and collective competencies, including strengthening dialogue skills, problem solving, exchanging perspectives, teamwork, reflecting on one’s values, and building strong and trustful relationships, which will also benefit the participants’ home institutions. Individual coaching for participants further complements the leadership modules.
- Action components are an open, creative and innovative learning space in which participants put their knowledge and skills into practice. Working independently in small groups, participants develop a hands-on solution and prototype for a self-selected challenge by following the design thinking method.
The BMZ African-German Leadership Academy is aimed at early to mid-career professionals from Germany and its African partner countries: Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Togo, and Zambia.
Potential participants of the BMZ African-German Leadership Academy should:
- be a national or permanent resident of one of the participating countries
- be 25 – 40 years old*
- work on issues relevant for sustainable development and governance
- have at least three years’ work experience (non-remunerated experience is also recognised)
- have the support of their employer (written support required as part of application)
- have a very good command of the English language (equivalent to B2 level of the CEFR)
- be respectful of other cultures
- be open to teamwork, reflection and a broad variety of working methods
*older applicants, who have taken longer periods of parental leave, may be considered.
In order to facilitate participation, successful applicants to the African Academy will be
awarded a scholarship, covering the following: Please note that the scholarship awarded is not sufficient to provide financial support for participants’ families.
• Travel to and from Germany
• Accommodation for the duration of their stay in Germany
• A monthly living allowance to cover living costs in Germany
• Health, accident and personal liability insurance for the duration of their stay in Germany
• Subsidy to help meet technical requirements of the programme
How to Apply
To apply to become a participant, you will need to submit the following documents in pdf format, via the application portal:
- Application Form Part I: Applicant’s statement – To be completed and signed by the applicant.
- Application Form Part II: Employer statement of support – To be completed, signed and stamped by the employer.
- Diplomas – Copy of diploma or certificate (in English, French or English translation) of the highest professional qualification and/or university degree
- Passport – Copy of the main pages of your passport
- Language Certificates – Proof of English language proficiency (if available)
- The application portal will be available shortly. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Deadline for application: 24 October 2022
For any questions concerning the application process, please contact: [email protected]
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the BMZ African German Leadership Academy Programme 2023