Application Deadline: May 1st 2018
The Bristol Short Story Prize – an annual international writing competition open to all published and unpublished, UK and non-UK based writers. The Bristol Prize publish an annual anthology of the winning stories as well as presenting cash prizes.
20 stories will be shortlisted and published in Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology Volume 11. The winner and 2 runners up will be selected from the shortlist and announced at an awards ceremony which will be held in Bristol in October 2018.
Prizes for 2018 are:
- 1st prize-£1000, 2nd prize -£700, 3rd prize -£400.
- Each of the 17 remaining shortlisted writers will receive £100.
Please read the rules carefully before entering.
- Closing date for receipt of entries is May 1st 2018 at midnight BST (‘midnight’ meaning the very last second of May 1st 2018).
- Entrants must be over 16 years old on the closing date, May 1st 2018.
- The maximum length of submissions is 4,000 words (does not include title), there is no minimum length. Stories can be on any theme or subject and are welcome in any style including graphic, verse or genre-based (Crime, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Children’s etc..) .
- The 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize is open to all published and unpublished writers. There is no geographical restriction on entry- the 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize is open to everyone, whether they are based in the UK or outside the UK. Entries can be made online or by post. All entries must be in English. Online entries should be submitted via the online entry facility, usually in Word document, pdf or equivalent. Postal entries will only be accepted as printed typescripts. There are no specific formatting requirements – font type, font size, line spacing etc. Writers may format their work in the way they feel is most appropriate – we do not specify any particular format for submissions. Please send postal entry/entries to: Bristol Short Story Prize, Unit 5.16, Paintworks, Bath Road Bristol BS4 3EH
- Authors may enter as many stories as they like. There is an entry fee of £8 for each story submitted to the 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize. Payment for online entries to the 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize should be made via the website online entry facility. Payment for postal entries to the 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize should be made by cheque. Cheque payments must be in pounds sterling and cheques should be made payable to ‘Bristol Short Story Prize Ltd.’. Each postal submission must be accompanied by a signed entry form confirming an entrant has read the rules of the 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize and accepts the rules of the 2018 Bristol Short Story Prize.
- Entries will not be returned. Please keep a copy. No corrections or alterations can be made after receipt of an entry.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been previously published, in print or online (including self-published, ebook, magazines, journals, websites, blogs, social network sites), or broadcast or won a prize in another writing competition on or before October 13th 2018. Any entry found to have been plagiarised will be disqualified. Simultaneous submissions are welcome – but please let us know as soon as possible if a story is to be published elsewhere, in print or online (including self-published, ebook, magazines, journals, websites, blogs, social network sites), or broadcast or has won a prize in another writing competition on or before October 13th 2018.
For More Information: