Application Deadline: 7 June 2019.
The British Embassy is seeking short videos and photographs from media students and early career journalists based in Somalia including Somaliland which demonstrate a positive, original and unique story about Somalia.
To celebrate World Press Freedom Day and the ‘Global Conference for Media Freedom’ (#DefendMediaFreedom), to be hosted by the governments of the United Kingdom and Canada in July 2019, the British Embassy Mogadishu is delighted to announce the launch of Young Somali Voices journalism prize (YSV).
This award will highlight the importance of defending media freedom and demonstrate the key role that the media play in creating an inclusive and open society in Somalia. It will also seek to identify and project young Somali voices and positive stories about Somalia.
The new prize was announced during World Press Freedom Day celebrations held at the British Embassy Mogadishu and co-hosted by Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Somalia, Ben Fender, and representatives from the United Nations office in Somalia. The event provided a platform for a cross section of Somali journalists to raise awareness of the challenges and opportunities they face with regard to media freedom in Somalia.
Criteria for entry
- The competition is open to media students and early career journalists (3 years work experience and below, directly employed or freelance).
- Applications from women and marginalised groups are particularly encouraged.
- All entrants must be Somali nationals and have a valid travel document.
- Only one entry is allowed per individual.
How to enter
- a video of up to 2 minutes highlighting a positive and unique story about any aspect of life in Somalia; the video can be in Somali but must have English subtitles
- a black and white or colour photograph depicting a positive and unique story about Somalia.; the photograph should have a title or short caption
- the video/photograph via WeTransfer or Google Drive to [email protected]
- a one-page CV which includes your name, date of birth, education, employment history, a copy of your travel document and your entry
If you have any questions, or problems with the submission process, please contact the awards team at [email protected] before Friday 7 June 2019.
For More Information: