Application Deadline: July 26th 2016
What: Arts Management and Literary Entrepreneurship Workshop at the 4th Annual Writivism Festival
When: 22-25 August 2016
Where: Kampala, Uganda
- Have you set up or are you thinking of setting up a new platform that publishes or brings new audiences to African literature?
- Would you like to exchange ideas about how to successfully position and manage a for-profit or non-profit literary initiative?
This four-day workshop is designed to give aspiring and early career arts managers and entrepreneurs in the African literary and cultural scene the opportunity to build market knowledge, develop project management skills, share best practice, and network with colleagues from across the continent.
A collaboration between the University of Bristol, Stellenbosch University and the Centre for African Cultural Excellence, the workshop will combine academic and practical approaches. Each day will focus on ways of setting up, thinking about and sustaining the following different kinds of literary initiative:
- Organizing a literary festival (Monday 22 August)
- Running a book distribution business (Tuesday 23 August)
- Publishing translations (Wednesday 24 August)
- Managing a literary prize (Thursday 25 August)
Relevant critical reading will be circulated in advance and discussed in each session. Across the four days there will be presentations from successful practitioners, opportunities for Q&A sessions with experts, as well as time to discuss and develop your own ideas and plans.
To apply for the workshop please submit:
- a short bio (no more than 100 words)
- an expression of interest (no more than 200 words) outlining why you would benefit from being part of this workshop
- your contact details (email and telephone) to [email protected] by Tuesday 26 July 2016.
- Successful applicants will receive confirmation by Friday 5 August 2016 and are expected to be present for the full duration of the workshop as the conversations and skills developed will be interlinked.
- There is no fee for attending but successful applicants will be responsible for funding their own travel, meals and accommodation.
For More Information: