Application Deadline: January 20, 2017
The Girls Impact the World Film Festival, presented by the Harvard College Social Innovation Collaborative (SIC) and Connecther, is a film festival and scholarship program in which high school and undergraduate college students submit 3-6 minute short films that focus on a variety of global women’s issues, including maternal health, microfinance initiatives, child-marriage, sex-trafficking, poverty alleviation, etc.
Your films will tell stories about girls and women that raise awareness, envision in film the possibilities of our time for females globally, and propose solutions, all the while providing the young adult voice an outlet in a compelling medium.
Confirmed judges include Ian somerhalder, Christy Turlington Burns (founder of Every Mother Counts), Jeff Skoll (founder of Participant Media, responsible for films such as An Inconvenient Truth, Syriana, North Country, etc), Jean Oelwang (CEO of Virgin Unite), and Zainab Salbi (Founder of Women for Women International).
(1) Raise awareness about current issues affecting women and girls around the world AND/OR (2) Propose solutions to current challenges faced by women
Green IS Applicants – See Here for More Info
These issues include:
- Political participation
- Economic independence
- Domestic and gendered violence
- Maternal mortality
- Teen & child marriage
- Sex trafficking and slavery
- Women and girls in media
- Women in Leadership
- Education for Girls and Women
- Women/Girls in STEM
- Ending FGM
- Winners will receive a monetary prize and film distribution channels via Connecther. An official screening and red carpet will take place in Austin, TX in the spring of 2017.
- Winners Receive over $USD 20k in Prizes
- Grand Prizes: $5,000
- First Runner Up: $2,500
- Second Runner up: $USD1,000
- Peoples’ Choice $2,500 and many more prizes!
pplicant(s) must be 25 or under on December 31, 2016 (special circumstances may be considered)
(1) Currently enrolled undergraduates (global) OR
(2) Full-time high school students
(3) The GITW Film Fest Competition is not open to any resident of the following countries: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
(4) Sponsor prizes including Green IS, Honest Beauty & Innovation Prize are chosen by sponsors and may include films directed and produced by graduate students.
(5) Each individual applicant may be involved in the making of up to two films. You may not enter more than two films.
To enter you will need to:
(1) Follow all Film Requirements (see below)
(2) Enter your video on the GITW entry submission page.
(3) Share, share and share your video from the GITW gallery. The more you share, the more likely you will win the People’s Choice Award!
(4) Upon becoming a finalist, before being eligible for prizes, you must provide proof of enrollment at your school/university.
(5) That’s it, wasn’t that easy
For More Information: