Deadline: 30 November 2013
African writers can enter for the Crime Competition NOW OPEN for a chance to win a US$1,000 book advance, publication and an Africa-wide distribution deal.
Submissions are welcome from published or unpublished authors; submission must be in the crime fiction genre; by an African author; set at least partly in Africa and be between sixty to eighty thousand words in length. Winners will be selected by the Editor.
Cordite Books hereby calls for submissions from African authors in the genre of Crime Fiction ONLY.
- African is defined as a citizen of the 53 countries in the continent of Africa and adjoining island, including descendants of such citizens who hold valid African passports.
- Authors must be resident in an African country and be ready to schedule readings across the continent if successful.
- Electronic copies of manuscripts are to be formatted as set out below and uploaded in the adjacent form
- Times New Roman, 13 points, Double spacing.
- Microsoft Office Word and compatible formats [e.g. Open Office]
- Documents should be named “Cordite Submission – Authors Name – Manuscript Title” eg “Cordite Submission – Ian Fleming – Octopussy.doc”. Synopsis documents should be named in the format “Cordite Synopsis – Authors Name – Manuscript Title”.
- Detailed contact details including previous publication and experience should form the first page of the manuscript uploaded.
- A detailed Synopsis of the manuscript, under 750 words, should be attached at the time of submissions using the appropriate upload button TO THE RIGHT.
- 1st Prize: US$ 1000, Publishing deal with Cordite Books Continental advance on royalties.
- 2nd Prize: US$250
- 3rd Prize: US$200
- Honourable Mention for the 4th and 5th best manuscripts received.
Cordite Books is a new, traditional-style publishing company for genre fiction based in Lagos, Nigeria and is jointly owned by Parrésia Publishers Ltd and Helon Habila. The imprint will be edited by Helon Habila, a Nigerian author and professor of Creative Writing at George Mason University in the United States.
For More Information: