Application Deadline: 7th February 2020.
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education
systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable
development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related
Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching
and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes
to the following long-term impacts:
• Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related
problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and
To achieve these long term impacts, the following outcomes have been formulated
as programme objectives:
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible
positions in their, or for their, region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of
partner institutions are strengthened
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers
scholarships for PhD and Master studies. The programme is funded by the
German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and
aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand
of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-
Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme,
or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue
Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country
scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region
• have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree
(Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates)
with above average results (second class upper division)
• clearly show motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the
time of application
• must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
• should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate
considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject
areas with strong relevance to national development.
The scholarships at University of Abomey-Calavi, Faculty of Agronomic Sciences
are available in the following field:
• Master Statistics, Major Biometry
• PhD Agronomy, Major Biometry
• of the PhD programme is generally up to three years
• of the Master programme is generally two years generally starting in September 2020.
The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the two
Applicants must apply for their studies at University of Abomey-Calavi, Faculty of
Agronomic Sciences using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the
institution. The University of Abomey-Calavi, Faculty of Agronomic Sciences has
set its own deadlines.
University of Abomey-calavi, Faculty of Agronomic Sciences will screen, pre-
select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list the applicants. A
detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants,
the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to
DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain preferably triple (at least double) the
number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.
DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
University of Abomey-Calavi, Faculty of Agronomic Sciences will provide the
shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal.
Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal,register themselves and submit an DAAD application.
DAAD Deadline: 7th February 2020.
Documents to be submitted (in either English or German):
• DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
• Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at
http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if
• Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2)
• Letter of admission for the host university / institution / network
• Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
• Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in
Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
• Copy of the passport
For More Information: