Application Deadline: 16h00 on Monday, 14 September 2020
The DA Young Leaders Programme is deeply grounded in the DA’s vision for South Africa. The Programme seeks to develop and grow our country’s future leaders responsible for upholding this vision of One Nation with One Future, and our core values of Freedom, Fairness, Opportunity and Diversity in politics and government.
In the DA’s South Africa, all individuals will have the opportunity to live a life that they value. This South Africa is dynamic and innovative, with a growing, inclusive economy and capable government which defends the Constitution and ensures equal opportunity for all – regardless of where they are born, how they look, or any other arbitrary characteristic
The Young Leaders Programme is an intensive, year-long, part-time political leadership development course, known around the world as the gold standard in political development. The Programme strives to give passionate, young South African leaders the opportunity to develop themselves to their full potential, irrespective of their background.
The DA Young Leaders Programme
The DA’s Young Leaders Programme (YLP) is a political leadership learning and development programme for South Africans between the ages of 18 and 35 who align themselves with the DA’s values of Freedom, Fairness, Opportunity and Diversity. Participants of the programme are highly motivated individuals, interested in pursuing a career in politics or the public service, with the aim of creating One Nation with One Future.
Over the course of one year, participants of the programme will be given the chance to broaden their political knowledge, critical thinking and communication skills. Participants will also get to know themselves, and their personal leadership style and development needs a lot better during dedicated sessions on leadership and personal development. In addition, Young Leaders will be required to conceptualise and undertake a leadership project, giving them a unique opportunity to expand their influence, self-awareness and emotional maturity, so that they can become dynamic, resilient leaders who are able to tackle politics on the national stage.
Young Leaders typically demonstrate many of the following characteristics:
- A personal ideological alignment to the DA’s vision of One Nation with One Future, rooted in our values of Freedom, Fairness, Opportunity and Diversity;
- A high level of interest in, and knowledge about, South African politics and current affairs;
- An excellent understanding of the DA’s principles and policies;
- A demonstrable leadership track record;
- Examples and evidence of having taken initiative, stepping outside normal roles to start something new;
- The ability to argue and reason well;
- Passion, drive and confidence;
- An authentic motivation to be actively involved in politics in future;
- A high level of self-awareness, maturity and emotional intelligence;
- Involvement in the DA.
- The YLP is open to all young South African citizens between the ages of 18 and 35, with a track-record of leadership excellence.
- These applicants must share the DA’s vision and must have proven themselves to be passionate leaders set on making a difference in South Africa. Participants must either be living in South Africa, or if they are temporarily abroad, be returning to South Africa in time for the start of the programme. The Young Leaders Programme does not cover international traveling costs.
- All costs directly related to the YLP are covered by the DA.
In order to apply for the Young Leaders Programme, the following needs to be submitted by 16h00 on Monday, 14 September 2020:
1. This online application form completed in full, including, the
2 short essay questions; 2. A video recording of maximum 90 seconds, to be uploaded via this application form (see instructions below);
3. One reference letter to be uploaded via this application form (see important guidelines below). Please have the above video and letter ready to attach, ahead of starting your application form, as you cannot save your application.
For More Information: