Application Deadline:Friday, 06 April 2018
The European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) aims to accelerate the development of new or improved drugs, vaccines, microbicides and diagnostics against HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria as well as other poverty-related infectious diseases in sub-Saharan Africa, with a focus on phase II and III clinical trials.
The EDCTP prizes recognise outstanding individuals and research teams from Africa and Europe who have made significant achievements in research field. In addition to their scientific excellence, the awardees will have made major contributions to the EDCTP objectives of strengthening clinical research capacity in Africa and supporting South-South and North-South networking.
The EDCTP programme is supported under Horizon 2020, the European Union’s Framework Programme for Research & Innovation.
Prizes have a strong potential to drive innovation through the recognition of achievements and the promotion of role models. In this regard, EDCTP plans to award four prestigious international prizes dedicated to the promotion of scientific research, improved health and Africa-European collaboration. These prizes are presented to outstanding individuals and research teams, especially from Africa and Europe and are announced at the biennial EDCTP Forum.
The four prestigious prizes are:
- Scientific Leadership Prize: Awarded to excellent a world-class scientist in Africa up to 50 years of age working on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and neglected infectious diseases (NIDs) in the scope of the EDCTP2 programme. (Call identifier: SL-Prize2017)
- Outstanding Female Scientist Prize: Awarded to an excellent world-class female scientist in sub-Saharan Africa and working in the remit of the EDCTP2 programme. (Call identifier: OFS-Prize2017)
- Outstanding Research Team Prize: Awarded to an outstanding research team from Africa and Europe working on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and neglected infectious diseases (NIDs) in the scope of the EDCTP2 programme. (Call identifier: ORT-Prize2017)
- Dr Pascoal Mocumbi Prize: This prize is in special recognition of the significant contribution made by Dr Pascoal Mocumbi, the first High Representative of the EDCTP. It is to be awarded to a senior scientist, or policy-maker or advocate for health and research (aged 50 years and above at the time of closure of this contest), from anywhere in the world. (Call identifier: PM-Prize2017)
- The contestants for the first three prizes (Scientific Leadership Prize, Outstanding Female Scientist Prize, and Outstanding Research Team Prize) must be residents of a sub-Saharan African country, or an EU Member State, or a country associated with the Horizon 2020 programme.
- The contest for the Dr Pascoal Mocumbi Prize is open to contestants from all parts of the world. However, special rules apply for Israeli entities*, Crimean legal persons, and entities from non-EU Member States that are covered by Council sanctions that make them not eligible to participate**.
- The nomination of contestants who are currently employees of EDCTP, or serving on its EDCTP advisory body (Scientific Advisory Committee) or on its governing bodies (General Assembly and the Association Board) will not be permitted for any of the prizes.
- Moreover, applicants that have already received an EDCTP prize before, cannot receive a second prize for the same activities.
Amount of the prizes
- Scientific Leadership Prize: This consists of a recognition trophy and a cash prize of €10,000.
- Outstanding Female Scientist Prize: This consists of a recognition trophy and a cash prize of €20,000.
- Outstanding Research Team Prize: This consists of a recognition trophy and a cash prize of €50,000.
- Dr Pascoal Mocumbi Prize: This consists of a recognition trophy and a cash prize of €50,000.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the EDCTP Prize 2018