The Elsevier Foundation and TWAS have joined to create a Visiting Expert Programme in sustainability science. This effort is in line with the new Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations 2030 Agenda.
The Elsevier Foundation – TWAS Sustainability Visiting Expert Programme supports visits of distinguished scientists to institutions in developing countries, especially those in the 48 Least Developed Countries (LDCs).
The programme aims to provide institutions and research groups in developing countries, especially those with limited outside contacts with the opportunity to establish long-term links with world leaders in sustainability and further build capacity in their countries.
- Under the programme, prospective host institutions can invite distinguished scientists in sustainability to collaborate in research and training. The visiting expert will be expected to interact closely with faculty and students of the host institution with the aim of strengthening its existing activities and/or assisting in the establishment of new lines of research. The visiting expert could also deliver lectures and seminars to research students, supervise students, conduct research and discuss future collaborative partnerships.
- The visit should provide a minimum stay of two weeks at the host institution. Applications to renew successful visits will be considered in the following year(s). The sponsoring organization, through TWAS, will provide the visiting expert with up to USD4,000 to cover the cost of travel, visa, accommodation and other expenses related to the visit.
- On completion of the visit, the visiting expert and the host institution will provide a comprehensive report outlining the impact the visit has had on the educational and research programme of the host institution.
How to Apply:
The Visiting Expert Programme places a strong emphasis on equal opportunities, and nominations of women scientists will be particularly welcomed. Please note: only persons who are experts in the field of sustainability will be considered for the programme.
Institutions wishing to be considered for this programme must complete the online application form by clicking on the ‘Apply now’ button at the bottom of this page. While filling in the online application, the following documentation needs to be uploaded:
- brief CV of the Sustainbility Visiting Expert (maximum 10 pages);
- list of publications of the Sustainbility Visiting Expert;
- letter from the Sustainability Visiting Expert detailing the research and teaching programme with which he/she could assist at the host institute;
- supporting statement from the head of the host institution.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Elsevier Foundation – TWAS Sustainability Visiting Expert Programme 2017