Application Deadline: October 31st 2016
Ericsson Sub-Saharan Africa Innovation Awards 2016: Innovations that impact the future of food
The theme of the Ericsson sub-Saharan Africa Innovation Awards 2016 is “The Future of Food”. Sub-Saharan Africa faces a rapidly growing population and as a result, food production will need to increase significantly. We encourage young innovators and start-ups to use this opportunity to make a real difference by using technology and ICT to make a positive contribution towards sustainability in the food sector in sub-Saharan Africa. Whether your innovation impacts food production, packaging, information availability or distribution, show us how your idea will change the future of the food industry as we know it.
Enter your proposal and you could win the grand prize of $10 000.
The Ericsson sub-Saharan Africa Innovation Awards 2016 is a competition looking for the latest innovations in the future of food. Sub-Saharan Africa faces a rapidly growing population and as a result, food production will need to increase significantly. We encourage young innovators and start-ups to use this opportunity to make a real difference by using technology and ICT to make a positive contribution towards sustainability in the food sector in sub-Saharan Africa.
- The contest consists of two (2) competition category, the student category and the small and medium enterprise category
- To be eligible to be part of a team participating in the student category – such person (“student”) shall (i) be a student of higher vocational and academic studies; (ii) register himself/herself for the contest by completing and submitting a team application form at www.innovationawardssubsaraha.com; and (iii) be part of a team consisting of 2-4 students.
- To be eligible to be part of a team participating in the small and medium enterprise category – such individual or group shall (i) not generate more than US $800 000
- Plus an entry into the Global Innovation Awards 2017 (only students will be able to enter this)
- $USD 10,000 Cash Prize
How to Enter:
Tell us your big idea by completing the form at the bottom of this page. You’ll need to provide a 3-page business case and 3-minute video (maximum) as part of your entry.
Your Big Idea:
Please share your Future of Food idea with us. We are looking for any idea that you think will contribute to the Future of Food – it can be highly technical or it can be a more social concept but please remember the solution needs to involve ICT.
- If you wish to partake in the student category, all team members will need to be a registered student at a tertiary institution on October 1, 2016. Your team must be a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4. Students from all years and all fields of study are eligible to participate, including PhD students. We encourage diversity in our teams and are open to teams of different nationalities, universities and fields of study.
- If you wish to partake in the start-up category, your annual turnover must be less than USD800 000.
Business Case requirements:
Your business case will need to include: a product description, a problem statement and solution, a financial analysis and a sustainability analysis. It should be no longer than 3 pages.
Video Submission requirements:
You will need to submit a video or provide a link to a video of your innovation. This video must be no longer than 3 minutes. The video needs to show what the innovation is, and how it works through a demonstration. It would also be nice to include an introduction of you and your start-up.
(Please note that the video does not need to be a professional production, but needs to meet the following specs: landscape orientation and quality of 720p or 1080p. It can be filmed on a high quality smartphone.)
The closing date for entries Monday 31 October 2016.
- A judging panel will select ten semi-finalists.
- One winner will be chosen from the semi-finalists.
- The semi-finalists will be presented at the awards ceremony in a video that will showcase their innovations.
- The Winner/ing team will be awarded and will present their innovation at the awards ceremony.
For More Information: