Application Deadline: May 1st 2022
The Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program (SARSP) is an opportunity for South African university faculty or research institute professionals to conduct research in their field of expertise at a U.S. academic or research Institution for a period of 3 to 9 months. A research grant enables the scholar to perform high-level research at a U.S. educational institution, aimed at strengthening academic programs or curricula at his/her home institution. Applicants need to have a proven track record of productive scholarly research, and publications.
The Fulbright-Emory Distinguished Chair Scholar Award at Emory University is for innovative, dynamic academic staff from South Africa in any field or discipline who will conduct research, teach, and engage with Emory’s academic community. Priority will be given to the selection of scholars whose activities are related to graduate programs in South Africa with the objective of increasing the impact of their scholarship in South Africa as a result of their experiences in the United States. Eligible candidates must have at least seven years of experience as a teacher/scholar since earning their Ph.D. and hold a full-time faculty appointment at a South African university.
- Be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident with a minimum of 5 years of permanent residency status in South Africa (Please note: S.A. nationals with dual S.A./U.S. citizenship are not eligible for the program).
- The Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program (SARSP) is open to scholars in all disciplines and without regard to gender or age; however, proposals for clinical medical research involving patient contact cannot be approved under the Fulbright Program.
- Applications for doctoral dissertation research, post-doctoral research immediately following completion of a doctorate degree, or general professional travel, are ineligible.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright scholar grant.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have had no experience or only limited experience in the U.S.
- Applicants must have sufficient proficiency in English to carry out their projects and collaborate effectively with colleagues. TOEFL exams are not required. However, the U.S. Embassy reserves the right to administer an English language test, if necessary, to evaluate applicants’ language skills.
- Applicants must be in good health. Successful candidates will be asked to submit a Medical History and Examination Report.
- Scholars who were unsuccessful in previous competitions may re-apply. Repeat applicants should revise their proposals, update curriculum vitae, and obtain current letters of reference/invitation.
Research Grant Coverage
- Monthly stipend based on the cost of living at the research site.
- Monthly dependent allowance for accompanying dependents.
- Round trip airfare for the grantee.
- Round trip airfare for one dependent accompanying the grantee for a minimum period of 80% on an eight- to nine-month grant
- Excess baggage allowance for return travel.
- Professional allowance for books, conferences, and seminars.
- Settling-in allowance.
- Primary medical insurance coverage for the grantee.
How to apply
The application will need to be filled out and submitted through an online application system. All required supporting documents need to be submitted through the online application system as well.
Include a well written research proposal with well explained methodology that can be understood by a general reviewing committee.
Include three confidential letters of reference. These letters must be uploaded by your referees through the online application system. Guidelines on how to register your referees are included in the country information section of the application. We will not accept any letters of reference via email or post.
A Letter of Invitation from a U.S. host institution is strongly encouraged but not required.
Applicants are discouraged from requesting affiliation with an alma mater. The Fulbright Program will honor institutional affiliation preferences as far as possible. Applicants unfamiliar with U.S. institutions may request that the Fulbright Program identifies a suitable host institution.
Applicants should note that laboratory fees are not part of the standard benefits package for the Fulbright SARSP and are awarded on a limited, case-by-case basis, and only if funding is available.
Contact the Fulbright Office with questions not answered online: [email protected]
For More Information: