Application Deadline: January 31st 2021
The University of Ghana has received a grant from the Gerda Henkel Foundation of Germany to support the training of PhD students in the Humanities under a project titled Enhancing Doctoral Training in the Humanities in West Africa. Under the project, the University of Ghana will be the sub-regional hub for the training of PhD scholars in the historical humanities (History, Archaeology,Historical Islamic Studies, Art History, Philosophy, History of Law, History of Science, Prehistory and Early History, Classics and other disciplines with historical component). The project will fund the tuition, accommodation, research, stipend and airfare of international students for the 2021/2022 academic year.
• Applicant must have successfully completed a Masters degree in any of the disciplines listed above, or in a related field.
• Should have excellent academic credentials and demonstrate motivation and commitment to pursue an academic career.
• Has thorough knowledge of the language of instruction (English)
• Applicant must be a national or permanent resident of one of the following
West African countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso and Senegal.
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED:
• Graduate and Undergraduate Certificates
• Graduate and Undergraduate Transcripts
• One-page motivation statement (Heading: Motivational Statement & your Name)
• PhD research proposal of not more than 3 pages (of 1.5-line spacing). This must include a project title, background, including statement of problem, objectives, scope and methodology for applicant’s research and references
• Applicant’s curriculum vitae
• Copy of applicant’s passport or national ID card
Completed application forms with copies of required documents should be sent to:
The Principal Investigator
Dept of Geography and Resource Development
P.O Box LG 59
University of Ghana
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (+233) (0)302983713
Applicants should take note of the following dates:
- Candidates should apply completing the google form
http://bit.ly/2021_2022_PhD_fellowship by January 29th 2021
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified by March 31st 2021
- Details of shortlisted candidates will be submitted to the Gerda Henkel Foundation in Germany by April 9th 2021
- Scholarship awardees to receive notification by April/May 2020
- All shortlisted candidates are to apply to the University of Ghana for admission when admissions portal open. Please check the University of Ghana website for more information at www.ug.edu.gh
The Project Team together with the relevant departments will do the initial review of applications. The final selection of awardees will be done by the Gerda Henkel Foundation
DURATION OF PROGRAMME
While the PhD programme is generally for four years, funding for the programme is for three years.
INSTRUCTION ON DOCUMENTS TO UPLOAD
You should save your documents as follows: Last name_document name_programme applied for. For example, Osei_mphiltranscript_PhD Tumi_proposal_PhD
For More Information: