Application Deadline: 2nd May 2018
Global Cleantech Innovation Programme for SMMEs in South Africa (GCIP-SA) is part of a global initiative that aims to address the most pressing energy, environmental and economic challenges of our time through promoting clean technology innovation and supporting Small and Medium-size Enterprises (SMEs) and start-ups. Specific areas of focus are energy efficiency, renewable energy, waste beneficiation (including e-waste), water efficiency and green buildings, green transportation and environmental protection (air, sea & land).
Each year the GCIP-SA combines an annual competition and a business accelerator programme where SMEs and start-ups are continuously trained, mentored and assessed on their business models, investor pitches, communication and financial skills for the development of a more marketable and investor-attractive product and business.
The programme culminates in the annual gala and awards event, where the winner and two runners-up are announced. Winners are also announced in the following categories:
- Women Team Award – formerly Most Promising Woman-led Business
- Youth Team Award – formerly Most Promising Youth-led Business
- Innovation for Social Impact
The GCIP-SA is implemented by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) with funding by the Global Environment Facility(GEF). In South Africa UNIDO has partnered with the Technology Innovation Agency (TIA) as the execution and hosting institution for the GCIP, while the US-based Cleantech Open serves as the main knowledge partner of the global programme.
- In addition to a cash prize and business support, the winning SMME or start-up also gets an opportunity participate in the Cleantech Open Global Forum in California, USA to join a network of investors and potential partners and compete with winners from other GCIP countries.
- Semi-finalists will:
- Have a chance to compete for awards valued at R 200 000 nationally, including a trip to California, USA, to participate in the Cleantech Open Global Forum
- Engage subject matter experts in a 22 session series of Business Model Training Webinars
- Gain access to our Mentor Programme
- Have a chance of showcasing opportunities at the National Gala Event towards the end of the year
Prizes are a combination of cash grant and/or investment and in-kind services. All cash prizes may be cash grants and/or investments and are subject to change.
For More Information: