Application Deadline: September 10th 2020
Ayeye! Calling all creative and tech pioneers to participate in Hack Ur Culture – a cultural heritage hackathon to shape the future of African GLAM institutions! “Hack-Ur-Culture” is a virtual platform that brings together GLAM institutions (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums) with creative minds and tech enthusiasts to bring about collaborations and innovations deriving from open cultural data.
In 2020, GLAM institutions have been severely hurt by the Covid-19 pandemic losing their audiences since the start of the lockdown. This extended period without foot traffic through their doors has forced GLAM institutions to consider what a virtual future looks like.
This is an opportunity for brave young minds to lead in the development of innovative solutions that will be used by some of the continents most reputable GLAM institutions.
Goals for the hackathon
- To help make cultural heritage data open and accessible to the public
- To deliver impactful learning and development
- To put the question of cultural heritage data on the agenda
- To offer a platform of experimentation to discover what is possible for the future of GLAM institutions
- This hackathon is open to enthusiastic young professionals in the creative and cultural industries across sub saharan Africa. We are looking for game developers, app developers, designers, researchers, media makers, journalists, writers – all are welcome to form teams and register to participate.
- The hackathon is kicking off on Heritage day, 24 September 2020. The hackathon will run for a period of 3 weeks with final project submissions due on Sunday, 18 October 2020 at 23:59. There will be a virtual prize-giving to announce the winners on a date to be announced.
- The winning team earns a spot to participate in the Coding Da Vinci hackathon taking place in Germany in 2021 (April or August, depending on International travel restrictions).
- Additionally, there will be supporting awards for impressive projects that will receive exciting cash/product prizes to be announced in the coming weeks.
- Winning projects will be featured in the Fak’ugesi 2020 exhibition.
For More Information: