Application Deadline: Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 17.00 East African Time (EAT) (UTC+3).
Hivos is seeking concept notes from artistic collectives, creative hubs and groups of content creators working on creative and cultural content production in East Africa. The funding support is geared towards supporting independent content production as a way of contributing to more independent, self-sufficient initiatives that reach larger audiences.
This open call is directed at initiatives currently based in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. Besides artistic imagination, the production of audio-visual, independent and conscious work that challenges or questions norms in society will be an important factor in the awarding of grants.
Entities that are or are representing communities of creative and cultural producers engaged in audio-visual content creation such as: creative spaces, groups of artists, music studios, hubs, cafés, art spaces, art galleries, independent production houses, networks of artists and producers, online platforms, collectives, co-working spaces focusing on the creative industry.
Entities working with content producers that are using audio-visuals as an approach to dissemination and communication in one or more of the following disciplines:
- Graphic Design
- Fashion Design
- Comics / Cartoons
- Poetry / Slam poetry / Spoken word
- Rap / Hip hop
- Radio shows/ Radio Series/ Pod-casts
- TV show / TV series/ Online channels
- Short film / video
- Feature film / Documentary
- Visual Art (Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Digital Art)
- Sculpture (objects)
- Mixed media installations
- Performance Virtual reality
- Other (specify)
Entities making use of digital means to strategically distribute their content to their audiences. (e.g. through online channels such as youtube, spotify etc.).
Entities producing content/work that aims to show alternative viewpoints on big issues affecting society that challenges or question certain norms in society. This content/work should enhance public debate through enabling alternative viewpoints to mainstream societal narratives. This type of work is often called socially engaged work or conscious work.
Eligible countries: Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
The requested amount should not exceed 25.000EUR over a three (3) to 12 months period.
Review and selection process
The following are the steps that will be undertaken by Hivos to review the concept notes and determine the awarding of grants:
- Step 1: Submission of concept notes; Deadline Wednesday 15th November 2017;
- Step 2: Review and selection of received concept notes by a Hivos grants selection committee: Monday 20th November 2017. (Successful applications will be invited for pitching interview);
- Step 3: Proposal pitching interview with grants selection committee (Grant recipients will be notified shortly after) 23rd to 27th November 2017;
- Step 4: Capacity assessments of selected applicants on organizational and financial eligibility;
- Step 4: Co-creation process with Hivos team of the final proposal/ activities;
- Step 5: Contracting: December 2017.
Format of concepts
Applications are accepted in English
The Proposals must be no more than 4 pages with the following sections:
- Name of the entity, focus country/countries and representative that will sign the agreement if the grant is awarded.
- Start and estimated end date of the project.
- The requested amount (In EUR).
- Short description of your work/ practice and the mission of your organization.
- One (1) example of a previous creative work that was produced by you or one of the members of your organization that provides alternative points of view on big issues affecting society and that challenges or questions a certain norm in society.
- Briefly describe the activities that will be undertaken using this grant. Try to be as concrete as possible and describe how the project is challenging norms in society.
- Brief outline of proposed activities, including a simple schedule, time frame or step to step list.
A detailed request for concepts can be accessed from the right side bar.
The deadline for submissions is Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 17.00 East African Time (EAT) (UTC+3).
Applicants must ensure that their concept notes are in word or pdf format and that they are all sent by email with the Subject line Creative Expression CALL 2017/2018 to the following email address: [email protected]
For More Information: