The International Crisis Group‘s Horn of Africa Project is looking for an intern to work in the organization’s Nairobi office for a period of six months from October 2012.
- The position is desk based and involves assisting Crisis Group’s Horn of Africa Project team by monitoring political developments in the Horn of Africa region via on-line sources;
- Providing assistance editing reports and briefings on conflict issues, and other documents produced by Africa program staff;
- Preparing advocacy and research materials and attend meetings with/on behalf of the Crisis Group staff;
- Assisting with carrying out daily press reviews and composing weekly situation reports; administrative work, including arranging for meetings and database management;
- Assisting Africa program staff with everyday office needs.
- The job requires a natural flair for political analysis, flexibility, intelligence and hard work but offers an excellent opportunity for someone to learn about conflict analysis and advocacy work and gain valuable experience in a high profile international NGO.
- A recent graduate degree in political science, conflict studies, international relations, or similar;
- Excellent English writing and editing skills;
- Computer literacy;
- An ability to deal confidently and swiftly with a variety of demanding tasks.;
- Proven research skills in international relations or a similar subject, conflict analysis or human rights work.
- Proven interest in and knowledge of the Horn of Africa region; and
- Working ability in Arabic language is an added advantage.
Applicants will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, and must be available to work full time for six months. This is an unpaid internship. Unfortunately, we do not cover visa, travel, accommodation, living and medical costs.
If you wish to apply, please send:
- Internship application letter (please indicate proposed internship start and end date);
- Recent CV, please include two references;
- Two 5-10 page writing samples relating to political analysis of the Horn of Africa region; and
- A three page essay on what your contribution to Crisis Group during your internship would be.
To submit your application, send all materials, In English, to: [email protected]
Due to the volume of intern applications we receive, we ask that you do not make follow-up calls or emails concerning the status of your application.
Deadline for applications: Currently receiving applications until vacancy is filled.