Application Deadline: Friday 4 November, 2016.
International Film Festival Rotterdam is looking for participants for the 19th IFFR Trainee Project for Young Film Critics, taking place during its 46th edition (25 January – 5 February, 2017). If you are a talented young film critic interested in joining this project and you meet the criteria listed below, please send us your application before Friday 4 November, 2016.
The IFFR Trainee Project for Young Film Critics, created in 1998, is IFFR talent development programme that offers up to four young (under 30 years), motivated and talented professional film critics from outside the Netherlands a chance to travel abroad, cover a major international film festivals and, in particular, get acquainted with International Film Festival Rotterdam and the broad range of independent cinema it offers.
As a Trainee you are part of the editorial staff of the festival paper, will have 2-3 expert meetings with experienced film critics, will cover the festival for your own affiliation, write a final festival report for the FIPRESCI website and of course enjoy the full pleasure of being at International Film Festival Rotterdam.
International Film Festival Rotterdam supports film making, film producing and journalistic talent on several levels: the main festival section Bright Future (including competitions for both features and shorts) presents recent works by first and second time filmmakers; Rotterdam’s Hubert Bals Fund contributes to film projects in developing countries and co-production market CineMart organizes a trainee project for young film producers (Rotterdam Lab) in close collaboration with its partner organizations. Recognizing the important role of film criticism to the perception of independent cinema, IFFR organizes a trainee project for young film critics.
- Age under 30 years
- Fluent command of the English language (written and spoken)
- Demonstrable experience in film criticism (print or online media)
- Not yet established enough to profit from facilities as attending international film festivals outside your country
- Have agreement(s) with relevant print and/or online media to publish reports on International Film Festival Rotterdam 2016
- Complimentary IFFR 2017 press accreditation
- Budget hotel accommodation in Rotterdam
- Partial refund of travel costs when traveling from outside Europe
- A full schedule. IFFR wants its trainee film critics to really participate in the festival and interact with other industry professionals. The trainees will form a team, hosted by the IFFR Press Office and the festival editorial staff. You get to explore all aspects of IFFR (screenings, exhibitions, Q&A sessions, and debates) as part of the program and to cover for your own media
- If your participation is successful and you have published reports that meet IFFR standards (in both quality and quantity) you get the opportunity to visit the next edition of the festival as an accredited journalist
How to Apply:
Your application should include digital versions (Word, jpg or pdf) of the following documents and information:
- A motivation letter to support your application: explain why this project and the Rotterdam festival appeals to you and what you can offer the festival
- Your resume (CV) including your contact details and date of birth.
- Up to three proofs of recent work you published on (independent) film or film festivals. If not in English, provide the original articles with English translations to demonstrate your command of this language
- Information about your affiliation(s): title, name of chief editor, postal address, phone number, email account, periodicity, circulation, web address, estimated unique page views per month.
- A recommendation letter (on company letterhead) of your principal affiliation’s chief editor assigning you to cover IFFR 2016 and confirming that your report will be published.
- Please send in your application by email to [email protected] before Friday 4 November 2016. You will receive notificiation on the selection Friday 2 December at the latest.
For More Information: