Application Deadline: Monday, April 24, 2017 by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time).
Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation’s Science without Borders® Challenge is an international art competition that engages students to promote the need to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources.
The Science without Borders® Challenge was created to get students and teachers interested in ocean conservation through various forms of art. This annual contest inspires students to be creative while learning about important ocean conservation issues. The SWB Challenge is open to primary and secondary school students 11-19 years old, with scholarships of up to $500 awarded to the winning entries.
The theme for the 2017 Science without Borders® Challenge is “Reef SuperSpecies.”
For this year’s Challenge, use your imagination to create a piece of art that illustrates a made-up Reef SuperSpecies. A Reef SuperSpecies is an organism (plant or animal) that has found a way to adapt to a deadly threat facing coral reef ecosystems. You can make up an organism or base your organism off of an already existing reef organism
- This international art competition is open to all students 11-19 years old. Students must be enrolled in primary or secondary school, or the home school equivalent.
- College and universitystudents are not eligible for this contest.
- Work will be judged in two categories, with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes awarded for each:
• 11 – 14 year-olds
• 15 – 19 year-olds
- Winners of the Science Without Borders® Challenge will be publicly announced. Prizes awarded to contestant winners are as follows:
1st Place: $500
2nd Place: $350
3rd Place: $200
How to Apply:
- All artwork must be an original work by the contestant and shall not infringe on any copyrights or any other rights of any third parties. For instance, drawing a character from a cartoon or movie is not considered an original work
- The artwork must be 2D such as a painting or drawing. Acceptable media include: paint, pencil, marker, crayon, ink, and oil pastel. Digitally created artwork, including photographs, are not accepted.
- You must send your original artwork. Digital copies of artwork are NOT permitted.
- All submissions must be made by an individual artist. Group submissions are not permitted.
- Participants may submit only 1 art piece.
- Write your first and last name and age in pencil on the back of your artwork.
- Fill out all required information on the Entry Forms (pages 5-7).
- Artwork and art descriptions may be used in publications and distributed to the media.
- The Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation reserves the right to disqualify
artwork deemed offensive.
- If the explanation of artwork or the artwork itself is plagiarized, then it will be disqualified.
- Entries that do not comply with all of the contest rules will be disqualified.
- Contestants must submit an Entry Forms with their submission. It is preferred that you submit your forms online at www.lof.org/SWBChallenge. All fields on the Entry Forms must be filled out in order to be considered for awards.
- All original artwork should be mailed to:
Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation
Science Without Borders® Challenge
130 Severn Avenue, Suite 100
Annapolis, MD 21403
- The deadline is Monday, April 24, 2017 by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time). All artwork must be received by this date or it will be disqualified.
For More Information: