Undergraduate: January 4, 2017
Graduate: February 1, 2017
The MasterCard Foundation has partnered with Michigan State University to provide full tuition scholarships to undergraduate and Master’s degree students from sub-Saharan Africa.
The Scholars Program is a 10-year, US $500 million initiative that will enable 15,000 academically talented students from economically disadvantaged communities (mostly in sub-Saharan Africa) to attend secondary school and/or university.
Scholarship recipients are chosen from a pool of students who have demonstrated academic talent, are economically disadvantaged, and have a personal commitment to serve their countries or regions of origin. Through leadership and career training, financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support, The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at MSU ensures that Scholars are equipped with the academic and professional skills and competencies needed to make significant contributions to economic growth and social development in their respective countries of origin.
- The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at MSU targets students living in sub-Saharan Africa who are economically disadvantaged (ranking in the lower 40 percent in their origin country based on family economic background and income).
- Applicants must live on the continent; the only exception is for applicants who are studying outside Africa on a full scholarship and who qualify on the basis of economic disadvantage. To apply, students must be either:
- First-time freshmen who have not yet started a bachelor’s degree (including those who have done a “gap year” after high school).
- New master’s scholars who have not yet started a master’s degree program. Master’s programs must be 2-year programs and begin in the fall semester (August).
Doctoral students, transfer students, and students with dual citizenship in the U.S. and a sub-Saharan nation are not eligible to apply.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship provides comprehensive support for the completion of a bachelor’s or master’s degree:
- Travel costs
- Visa and SEVIS fees
- Tuition and other MSU fees
- Housing, food, and living expenses
- Health insurance
Program Scholars are also provided with a laptop and backpack.
How to Apply
To apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, fill out the
For More Information: