Application Deadline: December 1, 2016
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program is the Smithsonian Institution’s centrally-funded flagship fellowship program. SI Fellowships are awarded annually to scholars wishing to conduct independent study or research at one or more of the Smithsonian’s 19 units and research centers. These fellowships are offered through the Smithsonian’s Office of Fellowships and Internships, and are administered under the charter of the Institution, 20 U.S. Code section 41 et seq.
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program supports independent research and study related to Smithsonian facilities, experts, or collection for the increase and diffusion of knowledge.
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program is open to:
- Graduate Students
- Predoctoral Students
- Postdoctoral Researchers and
- Senior Researchers
- The program is open to US citizens and Non-US citizens.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are expected to have the ability to write and converse fluently in English.
- All application materials must be presented in English (foreign transcripts may be translated, see below).
Past or current fellowship recipients are eligible to apply for another award.
Graduate Student Fellowships
Graduate Student Fellowships are typically 10 weeks in length. Students must be formally enrolled in a graduate program of study at a degree granting institution.
Predoctoral Student Fellowships
Predoctoral Student Fellowships are typically (pls see below for exceptions) 3 to 12 months in length. Students must be enrolled in a university as a candidate for the Ph.D. or equivalent.
Postdoctoral Researcher Fellowships
Postdoctoral Student Fellowships are typically (pls see below for exceptions) 3 to 12 months in length. The doctorate degree must be completed by the time the fellowship begins.
Senior Researcher Fellowships
Senior Fellowships are typically 3 to 12 months in length. Applicants must have held a Ph.D. or equivalent for at least 7 years.
Stipend Allowances and Taxes:
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship award amounts are as follows:
Graduate Student Fellowship**: $7000.00 for 10 weeks
Predoctoral Student Fellowship: $32,700 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
Postdoctoral Researcher Fellowship: $48,000 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
Senior Researcher Fellowship: $48,000 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
Fellows in earth/planetary sciences and conservatory sciences are eligible to receive up to $5,000.00 over the amounts above.
How it Works:
- Applicants must propose research that is conducted at the Smithsonian in an area of research outlined in the publication, Smithsonian Opportunities for Research and Study (SORS).
- Applicants should contact staff members to help identify potential advisors, determine the feasibility of the proposed research being conducted at the Smithsonian Institution, and the availability of relevant resources such as staff, collections, archives and library materials during the proposed tenure dates.
- Current Smithsonian research staff members can be found here.
How to Apply:
Apply Through: SOLAA
Applications for centrally funded Smithsonian Institution Fellowships are not listed under the museum, research facility or office in which the applicant proposes to conduct research.
For More Information: