Application Deadline: 17:00 (UK Time) 7th December 2017
Launched in 2015, the Matasa Fellows network seeks to develop a cohort of young African researchers with the skills and commitment to engage in policy-oriented research around the challenges of young people and employment in Africa. Its aim is to contribute to the development of outstanding young researchers who will ultimately become established policy researchers in their chosen fields.
Each successful applicant will receive academic support and a small bursary to produce a high quality synthesis paper and a policy brief relating to the broad theme of Youth Employment and Private Sector Growth in Africa. Under this theme, research contributions will critically explore a selection from the following themes:
- Private sector growth
- Education and training
- Digital technologies
- Family and gender relations
- Infrastructure, energy and engineering sectors growth
- Young people as citizens and/or young people in policy processes
- Conflict affected settings
- Migration and/or stretched livelihoods
- Financial inclusion
- Imagined futures
The synthesis papers will be published in a special issue of the IDS Bulletin.
The Matasa Fellows Network is open to African nationals – they need to fulfil the following criteria:
- 40 years old or younger at the time of application
- Completed a PhD within last two years or are in the final stages of completing a PhD
- Background in social science, economics, agricultural economics, policy studies, development studies, agricultural or environmental sciences
- Fluency in English
- Able to travel to the UK in February 2018 for a one-week workshop.
A bursary of £3,000 will be provided to each selected fellow, and all costs to participate in two workshops (one in the UK and one in Africa) will be covered.
Fellows must complete their synthesis papers by June 2018
Candidates must submit their full application through the online system as per the guidelines provided.
Applications open: 09:00 (UK Time) 8th November 2017
Applications close: 17:00 (UK Time) 7th December 2017
Applications can be submitted using the online form below.
Applications submitted after this time will not be accepted under any circumstances.
Receipt of completed applications will be acknowledged by email on submission. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted after the closing date, and may be required to provide further information about their chosen research topic.
If you have any questions or queries, please contact us on MatasaFN@ids.ac.uk
For More Information: