Application Deadline: 15th May 2018 at 11:59 pm.
The Migration Media Award funded by the European Union, hosted over 35 winning stories in the 2017 edition showcasing journalistic excellence on migration in the Euro-Mediterranean region.
In line with the quality and number of applications received last year, this year’s edition will reward up to 48 published stories resulting from time-intensive, un-sensationalistic, in-depth reporting and contributing to balance the narrative on migration, making it, evidence based, nuanced and less polarising. The awards will consist in funding from 750 to 7000 euros towards the production of a second story.
Journalists or media houses based in either EU countries or EU South Partner Countries are eligible to apply by submitting an already published journalistic work along with a proposal for a second production. Both productions, actual and intended, need to address one or more of the following themes in the Euro Mediterranean region:
- Labour migration
- Vulnerable groups
- Legal and irregular migration
Candidates who wish to apply must respect the following criteria: The submitted story must have been published between 15 April 2017 and 15 May 2018. The content of the entry must be related to one of the four themes mentioned above on migration limited to the Euro-Mediterranean region.
There are now six media format categories:
- Video: a video report (6-12 to 52 minutes) or a coherent series of short videos
- Radio: a radio report from 6-12 to 58 minutes or a coherent series of short reports
- Print: a long read or page-length spread with multiple elements
- Online: an illustrated article (with or without photos, videos, links) for pure players only (not a web edition of another media format), including social media
- Multimedia: a complex multi-format production mixing videos, photos, sound recording, with web navigation (hyperlinks, maps etc.) such as web-documentaries.
- Photo: a min 6 max 12 – a coherent series of photos with captions in English, Arabic or French
Entries must be in one of the three language categories: Arabic, English or French. Other languages from the EuroMediterranean region are accepted given that entries are accompanied with a translated script in Arabic, English or French.
The 2018 edition will accept only mid-length to long formats. The award scheme foresees a first, second and third prize for each category, and for each of the three eligible languages Arabic, French and English (with exclusion of photos), i.e. up to 48 winners. Awards will amount from 750 to 7000 euros. Please see further below for more details on languages and their eligibility.
The competition is open to all media outlets and journalists based in countries on both sides of the Mediterranean who have produced journalistic work on the topic of migration. Entries may be submitted by a Media organisation but the prize will be awarded to the journalist who created the work. Thus, the contract for the 2nd production will be either with an individual journalist or with the Media organisation while the 2nd production itself will need to be carried out by the journalist winning the award. Journalists based in the following regions and countries are eligible:
- All EU Member States
- All EU South Partner Countries:
In order to participate, you need to submit a complete entry; only entries with the following five mandatory elements will be considered complete and will be eligible:
- An already published story dealing with the above detailed four themes on migration in the Euro-Mediterranean region. The story must have been published between the 15 April 2017 and 15 May 2018 and proof of publication must be provided. Earlier published stories cannot be accepted.
- A 300 words (max.) presentation of the published story, in Arabic, English or French detailing the making off, the reason/newsworthiness for the angle chosen, particularly any difficulties encountered during production and/or other important elements that need to be considered for better understanding and evaluating the conditions of its production and publication.
- A 300 words (max.) synopsis/pitch in Arabic, English or French for the production of a further story related to the above detailed four themes on migration in the Euro-Mediterranean region.
- A letter of intent from a media outlet to publish a further story which would be funded and produced if the award is won.
- A copyright waiver addressed to the Migration Media Award partners, which also covers the European Union, and the permission to republish a winning entry in parts or in its entirety and in multiple languages.
Please note that candidates may not submit a story already supported by the MMA 2017.
In accordance with EU regulations, prizes will be awarded up to a maximum of 7 000 Euro.
The winning applicants will be offered a contract for work on a second production to be supported by a specified financial amount in accordance with the information further below. Once agreed, all award winners will be confirmed and publicly announced. In each category and language, first and second prizes will always be more than second and third prizes, respectively.
- First video prizes will receive between 1500 and 7000 euro, depending on country and complexity of the 2nd production.
- First online, radio, print and photo prizes will receive 1500 euro.
- First multimedia prizes will receive 2500 euro.
- Second video prizes will receive between 1000 and 2500 euro.
- Second multimedia prizes will receive between 1500 and 2000 euro.
- Second prizes for online, radio, print and photo will receive 1000 euro.
- Third video prizes will receive 1500 euro.
- Third multimedia prizes will receive between 1000 and 1500 euro.
- Third online, radio, print and photo prizes will receive 750 euro.
For More Information: