Application Deadline: Friday 12th June, 2020, at 5:00 p.m.
In 2019, the Ministry of Communications adopted the Ms. Geek Africa concept and organized the first Ms. Geek Ghana Competition where eligible young ladies submitted concepts aimed at solving everyday community problems through technological innovations in the Ghanaian society.
The overall winner of Ms. Geek Ghana 2019, Ms. Selasi Ama Domi-Kuwornu developed an Electronic Pilfering in Mobile Money (Kasa-Cash System) concept , an innovative solution which seeks to protect Ghanaians especially the underprivileged who were illiterate and were duped or defrauded by associates who could be close relations whilst using their mobile money applications. Ms. Domi-Kuwornu was sponsored to develop the prototype of her idea and also participate in the Ms. Geek Africa competition 2020 which had been scheduled to be held in April in Guinea, Conakry, however, the onset of the COVID-19 Pandemic did not permit the competition to take place.
Applications for the 2nd edition of Ms. Geek Ghana should be submitted from now to Friday 12th June, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. The competition is open to Ghanaian young ladies between the ages of 13 and 21 years in line with the Regional competition policy. The best solutions shall be selected to participate in the finals. Finals include a weeklong training, followed by two rounds of presentation where the top 3 shall be chosen and Ms. Geek Ghana 2020 crowned during the closing events of the summit. The dates for the final events will be provided in due course.
- Female between ages of 13 and 21 years old
- Citizen of Ghana
- Contestants must be available for selection and training
- SELECTION CRITERIA
The application must include the following:
- Description of the problem you want to solve
- How you will solve it
- A conceptual design
- what technologies you are using/need to develop the concept
- The population group it will positively affect
- How content will be generated, and shared.
- In developing the concept note, applicants must consider how many Ghanaians and or Africans have limited access to internet/smart devices.
- A graphical presentation to accompany your concept note, demonstrating how the solution will work and an example of its user interface.
PLEASE NOTE: The solution must be original or an improvement to existing solutions.
Accompanying prizes include:
- Cash prize for the best five (5) submissions,
- A laptop for each final ten shortlisted,
- A trip to an International Technology Conference in 2021
- Free one-year Internet Connection for the best five (5) submitters
- Sponsored attachment for the best three (3) at a technology innovation hub closest to submitters to fine tune and actualize their concepts
- All travel and accommodation expenses will be covered for the shortlisted ten finalists.
The Ministry reserves the right to determine how any other prize contribution will be managed after the launch of the competition on Wednesday, 6th May, 2020.
- SUBMISSION INFORMATION
- Download application forms from www.moc.gov.gh or www.msgeek.org.gh
- All applications must be submitted in English.
- Name the submitted application in this format: YOUR NAME – REGION IN GHANA
- Deadline for submission is Friday 12th June, 2020, at 5:00 p.m.
- Submit completed form in softcopy to [email protected] or www.msgeek.org.gh
- If you have questions, please call 0302685614 or send your enquiry via [email protected]
- For more information visit or www.moc.gov.gh or www.msgeek.org.gh
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the MS. GEEK Ghana 2020 Competition