Application Deadline: Friday, September 30th 2015
OSIWA is launching the Ebola through the Lens photo contest. OSIWA is seeking submissions from photojournalists who covered the Ebola crisis and are willing to tell the story behind the photos they took.
A picture is worth a thousand words. The power of images, and art in general can empower, challenge, magnify and shape social change. The Ebola Through The Lens moving exhibits seeks to showcase the work of photojournalists, and provide them a space to share their unique experiences of the crisis through their photos.
The photos will give the general public a glimpse into the human side of the epidemic. Apart from survivors, their families and health workers, journalists are amongst the few people that came face-to-face with the disease. The competition also seeks to provide a space for photojournalists to display their work and to tell their own stories of living, working through, and battling the epidemic.
- Photojournalists who covered the Ebola crisis and are willing to share the stories behind the images they captured to a larger audience.
OSIWA will be awarding prizes to the winners of the competition.
One (1) overall grand prize winner will receive:
- $3,000 cash prize;
- Up to 10 selected photos of their work on Ebola will be featured in the moving exhibit;
- A grant of $5,000 to collaborate with OSIWA on a photojournalist project within West Africa. This fee will cover the travel expenses and professional fees of the winner for the duration of this project. The project must be of a mutual interest to both parties, and should be completed no later than December 2016;
- A homepage display on OSIWA’s website; and
- Cover photo and center page spread on the Ebola Through the Lens publication to be released in the 1st Quarter of 2016.
One (1) runner-up winner will receive:
- $2,000 cash prize;
- 5 selected photos of their work on Ebola will be featured in the moving exhibit;
- Photos will be featured on OSIWA’s website; and
- Photos will featured in the Ebola Through the Lens publication to be released in the 1st Quarter of 2016.
One (1) second runner-up will receive:
- $1,000 cash prize;
- 5 selected photos of their work on Ebola will be featured in the moving exhibit; and
- Photos will be featured on the OSIWA website.
Three (3) Honorable Mentions
- Selected photos submitted of their work on Ebola may be featured in the moving exhibit
A complete submission will consist of the following:
- A short biography (no more than 150 words);
- A brief statement of interest in the project (no more than 300 words)
- Describe why you want to be considered for the competition; and
- Describe your experience of capturing the epidemic as a photojournalist
- Three (3) jpg images (up to 5mb per image) with corresponding captions of no less than 75 words
- Captions must be in English and/or French
- Only high-resolution original images will be considered
Large sized images can also be submitted via WeTransfer. All photos sent must be named in this format: [Lastname | Photo Number | “ETTL2015”]. For example: Brown1ETTL2015.jpg
Complete applications must be submitted to: email@example.com by Friday, September 30th 2015
For More Information: