Application Deadline: September 15, 2017
The RESOLVE Network is soliciting applications from qualified candidates based in Cameroon, Chad, and Nigeria for a project-based research fellowship in support of a comparative country case study on the rise of violent extremism and the politics of religion in education in the Lake Chad Basin region. Supported by the RESOLVE Network Secretariat in Washington, D.C., the project will be led by a select team of principal investigators with experience in the region who will work closely with fellows in the program to conduct field based research over the course of 10 months from early November 2017 through late September 2018.
- Qualified citizens of Cameroon, Chad, and Nigeria may apply for the fellowship. Applicants based full-time in other parts of the Lake Chad Basin region or the Sahel will be given the highest consideration.
- Applicants from the Lake Chad or Sahel regions currently living abroad who show a commitment to traveling to the country to conduct research and to returning to their home countries within one-year of completing the program may also be considered.
- Applicants must be fluent in English and either French or Arabic (preferably all three), both written and spoken. The Network Secretariat will only consider candidates who have a combination of the following educational and professional experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, economics, international affairs, legal studies, journalism, anthropology, sociology, social psychology, criminology, or related social sciences plus a minimum of 6 years professional experience working with reputable media outlets, think tanks, universities, and/or research centers.
- Master’s degree in political science, economics, international affairs, legal studies, journalism, anthropology, sociology, social psychology, criminology, or related social sciences plus a minimum of 4 years professional experience working with reputable media outlets, think tanks, universities, and/or research centers.
Doctoral candidates or degree recipients in political science, economics, internationalaffairs, legal studies, journalism, anthropology, sociology, social psychology, criminology, orrelated social sciences plus a minimum of 2 years professional experience working withreputable media outlets, think tanks, universities, and/or research centers.
- The 2018 RESOLVE Network Lake Chad Basin Research Leadership Fellowship Awards are set at a total of $4,500 for a 10-month program ( November-September 2018) and are paid directly to the individual. RESOLVE Network Research Leadership Fellowship awards for Cameroon, Chad, and Nigeria may not be deferred or extended beyond September 30, 2018.
- The first half of the award will be made available at the mid-way mark of the program; the last half of the award will be made available upon satisfactory completion of the project and presentation of findings at a Network Forum.
- Fellows will either work as independent affiliated members of the Network or as non-resident fellows of designated partner organizations specified by the RESOLVE Network Secretariat.
- Fellows are expected to devote the time and attention required to meet the deliverables outlined in the award terms letter, maintain regular contact with their mentors, and provide periodic reports to RESOLVE Network staff.
- The RESOLVE Network will also support travel costs for fellows to participate in regionally-based trainings and workshops in January and April 2018.
- Select fellows who demonstrate a strong commitment to fulfilling the project goals and leadership excellence will be invited to present their research findings in collaboration with their mentors at the network’s Annual Global Forum in Washington, DC. The RESOLVE Network Secretariat reserves the right to make final determinations about the terms and conditions for travel support.
RESOLVE Fellowship Application Instructions
RESOLVE Fellowship applications contain the following five sections, each of which is explained in detail in the remainder of this application form:
1. Personal Information
2. Proof of Citizenship in the Country of Focus
3. Curriculum Vitae/Resume
4. Personal Statement
5. Short Analytical Essay
6. Letters of Recommendation (2)
Please read and complete the entire application form.
Your saved PDF application form and a separate PDF copy of your most recent Curriculum Vitae/Resume containing all of the information detailed in Section 3 of the form must be submitted by email to email@example.com with the following subject line: [Applicant Last name, Applicant First Name]-RESOLVE Network [Intended Project Country] Fellow Application-2018.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be considered.
For More Information: