Application Deadline: 23:59 East Africa Time (EAT) , Friday, 31 August 2018
East Africa covers Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan and Burundi.
There is one Rhodes Scholarship for East Africa each year. The Scholarship for East Africa was announced in 2018 and the first Scholar will arrive in October 2019.
Kenyan citizens are not eligible for the Scholarship for East Africa but should apply instead for the Scholarship for Kenya.
The Rhodes Scholarship programme is the oldest (established 1903), and perhaps the most prestigious, international scholarship programme in the world. Administered by the Rhodes Trust in Oxford, the programme offers more than 100 fully-funded Scholarships each year
for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford in the UK- one of the world’s leading universities.
Selection Committees for the Scholarships are looking for young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future. The Selection Committees are looking for the following:
• academic excellence (e.g. First Class Honours or GPA of minimum 3.7/4.0, or equivalent).
- energy to use your talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
• moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in your fellow human beings
You must be a citizen of Burundi, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania or Uganda.
Education/residency: You must have been resident in one or more of the countries listed above, or Kenya, for at least five of the last ten years.
You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 26th birthday on 1 October 2019, which means you must have been born after 30 September 1993 and on or before 1 October 2000. Exceptions, extending the upper age limit by no more than 2 years, may be made for students who have undertaken an undergraduate degree of five years or more, at the discretion of the National Secretary. In such cases, exceptions will only be considered for applicants born after 30 September 1991 and on or before 1 October 2000.
You must have completed (or will have completed by no later than July 2019) an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor’s degree) to a sufficiently high standard to be admitted to postgraduate study at the University of Oxford. This would normally be the equivalent of a First Class, or a GPA of 3.7 or more. In this respect, please note carefully the requirements for your chosen course at Oxford.
Given the very intense international competition for places at the University of Oxford, candidates studying in Burundi or South Sudan will have a greater chance of successful admission to Oxford if they have an Honours degree (or have taken an Honours year) from a University outside of the their country or if they have studied to Masters level within their country.
- You can apply online from 01 June 2018 at http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk via the scholarships tab.
- You must submit your application online, with all supporting documents, by 23:59 East Africa Time (EAT), Friday, 31 August 2018.
- In preparation for making your application, you should read carefully the general information for candidates on the Rhodes website, the Conditions of Tenure for the Rhodes Scholarship, the information in this document and the graduate admissions pages of the University of Oxford: www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a social reception (e.g. a lunch or dinner reception) and an interview. No candidate will be selected without interview. You must be available to attend the interview and social reception, in person, as no accommodations can be made on date and time of these events. Interviews will be held in Kigali,Rwanda, in later October / early November. Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed for interview candidates traveling from outside of Rwanda. Overnight accommodation will be provided if necessary.
- All applicants will be emailed with the outcome of their application by 15 November 2018
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Rhodes Scholarships for East Africa