Application Deadline:4th March 2020
The aim of the Ruth First Educational Trust is to enable southern African students from historically disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake postgraduate study at the University of Durham. Southern Africa is defined for this purpose as comprising the following countries: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Republic of South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Scholarships make an important contribution towards social, educational and economic development in the region. In addition to their value to individuals they have wide developmental impact, within and beyond southern Africa.
Applicants must be a national of one of the following countries:
- Republic of South Africa
Level of Study
Taught Master’s Degree programmes
Mode of study
Year of Entry
Applications for programmes commencing 2020/21
All programmes EXCEPT MBA
- hold a relevant honours degree of sufficient standard to be admitted to your chosen Master’s course; and
- not hold a Master’s degree, nor have previously studied at a university outside southern Africa, and
- show evidence of active involvement in and commitment to voluntary work for the benefit of causes such as rural or urban community development; young people or educational projects; charitable organizations; health or AIDS awareness projects; student welfare or guidance; the defence of human rights; the promotion of equal opportunities or social justice; environmental sustainability. If you have a paid job that involves working in such areas, you should show evidence of leadership and commitment beyond the requirements of the job.
- Full payment of tuition fees
- Stipend for living expenses – 12 monthly payments
- one return air ticket from the home country to the UK and the cost of return travel between the UK airport and Durham City
- Fully funded accommodation and meals at St Chad’s College
- ‘Settling in allowance’ on arrival
- A contribution towards the cost of a UK visa and the UK Health surcharge
Unfortunately the scholarshiip does not provide additional support for dependants or for travel during the period of the Scholarship.
Number of awards available
How to Apply
Please ensure you submit the both the documents listed below by the deadline date
an academic application to Durham University
a scholarship application form
Applications accepted from