The Siemens Stiftung has initiated a worldwide competition to identify and present appropriate technical solutions for developmental activities. Held to directly bring together low tech innovations for basic supply problems in developing countries, these innovations should be implemented with the resources at hand in the regions. The project also aims to build up a database of inventions that is accessible to actors in developmental cooperation at a later date.
Low technological solutions or products for basic supply problems in developing and emerging countries – this is what the Siemens Stiftung is looking to identify. The “empowering people. Award” is addressed to individuals, teams, organisations or enterprises fulfilling certain criteria from any region in the world. Solutions entered have to already be in use or a feasibility study of the prototype has to be made available. The aim of the competition is twofold:
- Firstly, identify winning solutions that can be further advanced with the developer and have them implemented on site.
- Secondly, these innovations will be prominently showcased in a central database on the website as soon as the competition is closed and the entries have been evaluated. All intellectual properties will remain with the developer/developing team. Siemens Stiftung assumes no liability for keeping the entries confidential.
- Water & Waste Water
- Food & Agriculture
- Waste Management & Recycling
- Housing & Construction
- Information & Communication Technology
The “Empowering People Award” is addressed to individuals, teams, organisations or enterprises fulfilling certain criteria from any region in the world.
Submitting enterprises should fulfill the following criteria:
- The enterprise develops solutions or products which have the potential of social impact for people in developing and emerging countries.
- The enterprise develops solutions or products which are already successfully implemented to improve basic supply in developing or emerging countries.
- The enterprise has a strong focus on job creation.
- The enterprise follows values such as fairness, social responsibility and self-sustainability.
- The enterprise is not a microfinance institution, private equity fund or deposit taking institution.
Apply for the The Siemens Stiftung Empowering People Awards HERE.
The Application Deadline: 31 December 2012.
For more information, visit the The Siemens Stiftung Empowering People Award Website .